Zuccala, A; van den Besselaar, P; Mapping review networks: Exploring research community roles and contributions

Tue Jan 29 09:11:28 EST 2008

Email address: a.zuccala at rathenau.nl

Author(s): Zuccala, A (Zuccala, Alesia); van den Besselaar, P (van den
Besselaar, Peter)

Title: Mapping review networks: Exploring research community roles and
contributions

Editor(s): TorresSalinas, D; Moed, HF

Source: PROCEEDINGS OF ISSI 2007: 11TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE OF THE
INTERNATIONAL SOCIETY FOR SCIENTOMETRICS AND INFORMETRICS, VOLS I AND II
803-813, 2007

Language: English

Document Type: Article

Conference Title: 11th International Conference of the International-
Society-for-Scientrometrics-and-Informetrics

Conference Date: JUN 25-27, 2007

Conference Location: Madrid, SPAIN

Conference Sponsors: Int Soc Scientrometr & Informetr, CSIC, Minist Educ &
Ciencia, FECYT, Comunidad Madrid, Eugene Garfield Fdn, Thomson Sci,
Elsevier, Journal Informetr, Scopus, Ayuntamiento Madrid, Sci Metrix, Univ
Carlos III Madrid

Author Keywords: peer review; subject specialties; invisible colleges;
mapping knowledge domains

KeyWords Plus: AUTHOR COCITATION; COLLABORATION

Abstract: In this paper we investigate the position of a review network
within a research specialty; the network of scholars who write reviews of
their colleagues' work. This is one of the voluntary activities that
researchers perform as a prerequisite for the functioning of the invisible
college. We compare this network to other networks within the specialty,
and this allows us to distinguish various roles: stars, influentials,
members, supporters and juniors. As scholars are characterized by
different role-configurations, the invisible college becomes stratified.
We discuss the implications for the development of a referee factor and
review factor, norms for refereeing and reviewing, and the development of
systems-based research evaluations.

Addresses: Rathenau Inst, Netherlands Ctr Sci Syst Assessment, The Hague,
NL-2509 CJ Netherlands.

Publisher Name: INT SOC SCIENTOMETRICS & INFORMETRICS-ISSI
Publisher Address: KATHOLIEKE UNIV LEUVEN, FACULTEIT E T E W, DEKENSTRAAT
2, LEUVEN, B-3000, BELGIUM

Cited Reference Count: 22

MATH REV DATABASE GU : 2006

 AHLGREN P
Requirement for a cocitation similarity measure, with special reference to
Pearson's Correlation coefficient
J AM SOC INF SCI TEC 54 : 550 2003

 BORGATTI SP
NETDRAW GRAPH VISUAL : 2002

 BORGATTI SP
UCINET 6 FOR WINDOWS : 2002

 CRANE D
INVISIBLE COLLEGES D : 1972

 CRONIN B
SCHOLARS COURTESY RO : 1995

 DESOLLA PD
LITTLE SCI BIG SCI : 1986

 GARVEY WD
Information channels of information in the behavioural sciences: their
relevance in the structuring of formal or bibliographic communication
FDN ACCESS KNOWLEDGE : 129 1968

 GLANZEL W
Journal impact measures in bibliometric research
SCIENTOMETRICS 53 : 171 2002

 GRIFFITH BC
SCHOLARLY COMMUNICAT : 31 1990

 LAUDEL G
P 8 INT C SCIENT INF : 369 2001

 LEYDESDORFF L
Similarity measures, author cocitation analysis, and information theory
J AM SOC INF SCI TEC 56 : 769 2005

 MELIN G
Studying research collaboration using co-authorships
SCIENTOMETRICS 36 : 363 1996

 NEWMAN MEJ
Coauthorship networks and patterns of scientific collaboration
PROCEEDINGS OF THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES OF THE UNITED STATES OF
AMERICA 101 : 5200 2004

 ROUSSEAU R
ISSI NEWSLETTER 2 : 1 2006

 SINGH S
FERMATS ENIGMA : 1998

 SMALL H
P 10 INT C SCI INFOR : 2005

 WHITE HD
does citation reflect social structure?
J AM SOC INF SCI TEC 55 : 111 2004

 WHITE HD
Authors as citers over time
J AM SOC INF SCI TEC 52 : 87 2001

 WHITE HD
Author cocitation: a literature measure of intellectual structure
J AM SOC INFORM SCI 32 : 163 1981

 WISLON R
NATURE 441 : 812 2006

 ZUCCALA A