Noyons, ECM; Calero-Medina, C Applying bibliometric mapping in a high level science policy context. Mapping the research areas of three Dutch universities of technology PROC. OF ISSI 2007: 11TH INTL.CONF.OF THE ISSI, VOLS I AND II 599-607, 2007

Thu Jan 17 12:01:26 EST 2008

Email address: noyons at cwts.leidenuniv.nl

Author(s): Noyons, ECM (Noyons, Ed C. M.); Calero-Medina, C (Calero-
Medina, Clara)

Title: Applying bibliometric mapping in a high level science policy
context. Mapping the research areas of three Dutch universities of
technology

Editor(s): TorresSalinas, D; Moed, HF

Source: PROCEEDINGS OF ISSI 2007: 11TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE OF THE
INTERNATIONAL SOCIETY FOR SCIENTOMETRICS AND INFORMETRICS, VOLS I AND II
599-607, 2007

Language: English
Document Type: Article

Conference Title: 11th International Conference of the International-
Society-for-Scientrometrics-and-Informetrics

Conference Date: JUN 25-27, 2007

Conference Location: Madrid, SPAIN

Conference Sponsors: Int Soc Scientrometr & Informetr, CSIC, Minist Educ &
Ciencia, FECYT, Comunidad Madrid, Eugene Garfield Fdn, Thomson Sci,
Elsevier, Journal Informetr, Scopus, Ayuntamiento Madrid, Sci Metrix, Univ
Carlos III Madrid

Author Keywords: science policy; bibliometric mapping; collaboration
network analysis; research profile analysis
Abstract: Bibliometric maps have evolved to useful tools for science
policy issues. The complexity of the structures, however, makes it often
very difficult to interpret the results. Moreover, interactive tools to
explore the maps and results complicates the matter of interpretation and
the drawing of unique conclusions. In this study, we present a case study
in which we use the bibliometric mapping results to address a high level
science policy issue of research efficiency. By revealing the results in a
alternative way, we hope to increase the utility of biblometric mapping
within the science policy context.

Addresses: Leiden Univ, Ctr Sci & Technol Studies CWTS, Leiden, NL-2300 RB
Netherlands.

Publisher Name: INT SOC SCIENTOMETRICS & INFORMETRICS-ISSI
Publisher Address: KATHOLIEKE UNIV LEUVEN, FACULTEIT E T E W, DEKENSTRAAT
2, LEUVEN, B-3000, BELGIUM

Cited Reference Count: 4

BORGATTI SP
UCINET WINDOWS SOFTW : 2002