Levitt, J; Thelwall, M Atypical citation patterns in the twenty most highly cited documents in library and information science PROCEEDINGS OF ISSI 2007: 11TH INTL. CONF. OF THE ISSI, VOLS I AND II 485-488, 2007

Tue Jan 15 16:20:20 EST 2008

Email address: j.m.levitt at wlv.ac.uk

Author(s): Levitt, J (Levitt, Jonathan); Thelwall, M (Thelwall, Mike)

Title: Atypical citation patterns in the twenty most highly cited
documents in library and information science

Editor(s): TorresSalinas, D; Moed, HF

Source: PROCEEDINGS OF ISSI 2007: 11TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE OF THE
INTERNATIONAL SOCIETY FOR SCIENTOMETRICS AND INFORMETRICS, VOLS I AND II
485-488, 2007

Language: English
Document Type: Article

Conference Title: 11th International Conference of the International-
Society-for-Scientrometrics-and-Informetrics

Conference Date: JUN 25-27, 2007
Conference Location: Madrid, SPAIN

Conference Sponsors: Int Soc Scientrometr & Informetr, CSIC, Minist Educ &
Ciencia, FECYT, Comunidad Madrid, Eugene Garfield Fdn, Thomson Sci,
Elsevier, Journal Informetr, Scopus, Ayuntamiento Madrid, Sci Metrix, Univ
Carlos III Madrid

Author Keywords: citation analysis; highly cited documents

KeyWords Plus: SLEEPING BEAUTIES

Abstract: We investigate the citations to the twenty most highly cited
documents in the Web of Science subject category of `Information Science &
Library Science', finding that not only are most of these papers quite old
but, surprisingly, for most their citation count is continually
increasing, and for the rest it is undulating but not steadily decreasing.

Addresses: Wolverhampton Univ, Sch Comp & Informat Technol, Stat Cybermetr
Res Grp, Wolverhampton, WV1 1SB England.

Publisher Name: INT SOC SCIENTOMETRICS & INFORMETRICS-ISSI
Publisher Address: KATHOLIEKE UNIV LEUVEN, FACULTEIT E T E W, DEKENSTRAAT
2, LEUVEN, B-3000, BELGIUM

Cited Reference Count: 7

BURRELL QL
Are "sleeping beauties" to be expected?
SCIENTOMETRICS 65 : 381 2005

 GARFIELD E
CURRENT CONTENTS 26 : 5 1980

 GLANZEL W
SCIENTIST 18 : 8 2005

 GLANZEL W
Better late than never? On the chance to become highly cited only beyond
the standard bibliometric time horizon.
SCIENTOMETRICS 58 : 571 2003

 HIRSCH JE
An index to quantify an individual's scientific research output
P NATL ACAD SCI USA 102 : 16569 2005

 VANDALEN HP
Signals in science - On the importance of signaling in gaining attention
in science.
SCIENTOMETRICS 64 : 209 2005

 VANRAAN AFJ
Sleeping beauties in science