van Leeuwen, TN et al. Strength and weakness of national science systems. A bibliometric analysis through cooperation patterns PROCEEDINGS OF ISSI 2007: 11TH INTL. CONF. OF THE ISSI, VOLS I AND II 469-479, 2007

Tue Jan 15 15:38:33 EST 2008

Email address: leeuwen at cwts.nl

Author(s): van Leeuwen, TN (van Leeuwen, Thed N.); Tijssen, RJW (Tijssen,
Robert J. W.)

Title: Strength and weakness of national science systems. A bibliometric
analysis through cooperation patterns

Editor(s): TorresSalinas, D; Moed, HF

Source: PROCEEDINGS OF ISSI 2007: 11TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE OF THE
INTERNATIONAL SOCIETY FOR SCIENTOMETRICS AND INFORMETRICS, VOLS I AND II
469-479, 2007

Language: English
Document Type: Article

Conference Title: 11th International Conference of the International-
Society-for-Scientrometrics-and-Informetrics

Conference Date: JUN 25-27, 2007

Conference Location: Madrid, SPAIN

Conference Sponsors: Int Soc Scientrometr & Informetr, CSIC, Minist Educ &
Ciencia, FECYT, Comunidad Madrid, Eugene Garfield Fdn, Thomson Sci,
Elsevier, Journal Informetr, Scopus, Ayuntamiento Madrid, Sci Metrix, Univ
Carlos III Madrid

Author Keywords: scientific cooperation; co-authored research
publications; first-authorship; impact assessment

KeyWords Plus: INTERNATIONAL SCIENTIFIC COLLABORATION

Abstract: Scientific cooperation is becoming more and more important in
nowadays scientific organization, and while scientific cooperation, and
especially international collaboration is supposed to generate high
scientific impact, we will show in this. study that lately, research
publications resulting from international cooperation are losing ground in
terms of scientific impact. In this study, scientific cooperation is
analyzed over the last 25 years. The worldwide scientific output as
indexed in the citation indexes and that of a selected set of and
countries is analyzed through distinguishing various types of scientific
output, and impact measures are determined. In the study we focus on a
number of country's for which we have observed strong changes in the
patterns of their scientific output. The study shows the importance of the
analysis of the composition of the scientific output of a country, and the
role single address and first-authored publications play in applications
of bibliometric data in research assessment processes on the national
level.
Addresses: Leiden Univ, CWTS Ctr Sci & Technol Studies, Leiden, NL-2300 RB
Netherlands.

Publisher Name: INT SOC SCIENTOMETRICS & INFORMETRICS-ISSI
Publisher Address: KATHOLIEKE UNIV LEUVEN, FACULTEIT E T E W, DEKENSTRAAT
2, LEUVEN, B-3000, BELGIUM

*NOWT
REP DUTCH OBS SCI TE : 2000

 BORDONS M
Local, domestic and international scientific collaboration in biomedical
research
SCIENTOMETRICS 37 : 279 1996

 BUTLER L
A (2002) list of published papers is no measure of value - The present
system rewards quantity, not quality - but hasty changes could be as bad.
NATURE 419 : 877 2002

 GLANZEL W
HDB QUANTITATIVE SCI : 57 2004

 GLANZEL W
A distributional approach to multinationality measures of international
scientific collaboration
SCIENTOMETRICS 54 : 75 2002

 MATTSSON P
UNPUB SCIENTOMETRICS

 MEDINA CC
9 INT C SCI TECHN IN : 2006

 MOED HF
INTERNATIONAL SCIENTIFIC COOPERATION AND AWARENESS WITHIN THE EUROPEAN
COMMUNITY - PROBLEMS AND PERSPECTIVES
SCIENTOMETRICS 21 : 291 1991

 VANLEEUWEN TN
Language biases in the coverage of the Science Citation Index and its
consequences for international comparisons of national research performance
SCIENTOMETRICS 51 : 335 2001

 ZITT M
Shadows of the past in international cooperation: Collaboration profiles
of the top five producers of science.
SCIENTOMETRICS 47 : 627 2000