Hook, PA (Hook, Peter A.) Visualizing the topic space of the united states supreme court PROCEEDINGS OF ISSI 2007: 11TH INTL CONF. OF THE ISSI, VOLS I AND II 387-396, 2007

Fri Jan 11 15:52:37 EST 2008

Email address: pahook at indiana.edu

Author(s): Hook, PA (Hook, Peter A.)

Title: Visualizing the topic space of the united states supreme court

Editor(s): TorresSalinas, D; Moed, HF

Source: PROCEEDINGS OF ISSI 2007: 11TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE OF THE
INTERNATIONAL SOCIETY FOR SCIENTOMETRICS AND INFORMETRICS, VOLS I AND II
387-396, 2007

Language: English
Document Type: Article

Conference Title: 11th International Conference of the International-
Society-for-Scientrometrics-and-Informetrics

Conference Date: JUN 25-27, 2007

Conference Location: Madrid, SPAIN

Conference Sponsors: Int Soc Scientrometr & Informetr, CSIC, Minist Educ &
Ciencia, FECYT, Comunidad Madrid, Eugene Garfield Fdn, Thomson Sci,
Elsevier, Journal Informetr, Scopus, Ayuntamiento Madrid, Sci Metrix, Univ
Carlos III Madrid

Author Keywords: domain maps; visualizations; united states supreme court;
law; political science; westlaw

KeyWords Plus: CITATION INDEXES; LAW; SCIENCE

Abstract: This article describes the creation of several domain maps based
on the topic space of opinions issued by the United States Supreme Court.
Topics assigned by West Publishing were harvested off of the Westlaw
database and visualized using Principal Components Analysis (PCA),
Multidimensional Scaling (MDS), and graph visualization software (Pajek).
Peculiar topic adjacencies were noted and attributed to the unique nature
of cases argued at the level of the United States Supreme Court. The work
is contextualized throughout by the author's desire to create a rigorous
base map on which to layer additional data for teaching purposes.

Addresses: Indiana Univ, Sch Law, Bloomington, IN 47405 USA.

Publisher Name: INT SOC SCIENTOMETRICS & INFORMETRICS-ISSI
Publisher Address: KATHOLIEKE UNIV LEUVEN, FACULTEIT E T E W, DEKENSTRAAT
2, LEUVEN, B-3000, BELGIUM

Cited Reference Count: 36

*THOMS W
W AN AM LAW : 2006

 BATAGELJ V
CONNECTIONS 21 : 47 1998

 BATTELLE J
SEARCH GOOGLE RIVALS : 2005

 BERNAL JD
SOCIAL FUNCTION SCI : 1939

 BORNER K
Visualizing Knowledge Domains
ANNU REV INFORM SCI 37 : 179 2003

 BRAZILL TJ
Factor analysis versus multi-dimensional scaling: binary choice roll-call
voting and the US Supreme Court
SOC NETWORKS 24 : 201 2002

 CHANDLER SJ
2005 INT MATH S : 2005

 CROSS FB
IN PRESS DETERMINANT

 CROSS FB
IN PRESS REGAN REVOL

 DOYLE J
Westlaw and the American Digest Classification Scheme
LAW LIB J 84 : 229 1992

 ELLINGHAM HJT
DIVISIONS NATURAL SC : 1948

 EPSTEIN L
JURIDICAL COMMON SPA : 2005

 FOWLER JH
IN PRESS POLITICAL A

 FOWLER JH
Connecting the congress: A study of cosponsorship networks
POLITICAL ANALYSIS 14 : 456 2006

 GARFIELD E
CITATION INDEXING IT : 1979

 GARFIELD E
Citation Indexes for Science
SCIENCE 122 : 108 1955

 GEORGE TE
An empirical study of empirical legal scholarship: The top law schools
INDIANA LAW JOURNAL 81 : 141 2006

 GROFMAN B
MOST HIGHLY CITED SC 19 : 22 2002

 HOOK PA
NEW DIRECTIONS COGNI : 187 2005

 JOHNSON JC
SUNB 25 INT SUNB SOC : 2005

 MARTIN AD
POLIT ANAL 10 : 134 2002

 MONTELLO DR
Testing the first law of cognitive geography on point-display
spatializations
SPATIAL INFORMATION THEORY, PROCEEDINGS 2825 : 316 2003

 OGDEN P
"Mastering the lawless science of our law"; A Story of Legal Citation
LAW LIBR J 85 : 1 1993

 PAOLILLO J
VISUALIZING SEMANTIC : 229 2006

 POOLE KT
SPATIAL MODELS PARLI : 2005

 PORTER MA
A network Analysis of Committees in the US House of Representatives
P NATL ACAD SCI USA 102 : 7057 2005

 PRITCHETT CH
CARTOGRAPHY GEOGRAPH 30 : 95 1941

 SCHUBERT G
JUDICIAL ATTITUDES V 28 : 100 1963

 SCHUBERT GA
title not available
AM POLIT SCI REV 56 : 90 1962

 SIROVICH L
A pattern analysis of the second Rehnquist U.S. Suprere Counrt
P NATL ACAD SCI USA 100 : 7432 2003

SMALL H
The Structure of Scientific Literatures I: Identifyin and graoohinf
SCI STUD 4 : 17 1974

 SMITH TA
IN PRESS WEB LAW

 SNYDER F
MONT L REV 60 : 541 1999

 SPAETH HJ
Influence Relationships within the Supreme Court: A Comparison of the
Warren and Burger Courts
 QUART 38 : 70 1985

 SURRENCY EC
HIST AM LAW PUBLISHI : 1990