Egghe, L, Distributions of the h-index and the g-index, PROCEEDINGS OF ISSI 2007: 11TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE OF THE ISSI, VOLS I AND II. 2007. p.245-253

Mon Jan 7 14:42:04 EST 2008

Email: leo.egghe at uhasselt.be

Author(s): Egghe, L (Egghe, Leo)

Title: Distributions of the h-index and the g-index

Editor(s): TorresSalinas, D; Moed, HF

Source: PROCEEDINGS OF ISSI 2007: 11TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE OF THE
INTERNATIONAL SOCIETY FOR SCIENTOMETRICS AND INFORMETRICS, VOLS I AND II
245-253, 2007

Cited Reference Count: 18

Language: English
Document Type: Article

Conference Title: 11th International Conference of the International-
Society-for-Scientrometrics-and-Informetrics

Conference Date: JUN 25-27, 2007

Conference Location: Madrid, SPAIN

Conference Sponsors: Int Soc Scientrometr & Informetr, CSIC, Minist Educ &
Ciencia, FECYT, Comunidad Madrid, Eugene Garfield Fdn, Thomson Sci,
Elsevier, Journal Informetr, Scopus, Ayuntamiento Madrid, Sci Metrix, Univ
Carlos III Madrid

Author Keywords: h-index; hirsch index; g-index; distribution; lotka

KeyWords Plus: HIRSCH-INDEX; SCIENTISTS; RANKING

Abstract: In every scientific research area, each scientist has a unique h-
index and g-index. This paper addresses the problem of determining the
distribution of these indexes over the scientists. We apply aspects of
linear three-dimensional Lotkaian informetrics to determine these
distributions. We show that, supposing the article-citation information
production process (IPP) to be Lotkaian with exponent a and supposing the
scientist-article IPP to be Lotkaian with exponent alpha*, we have that
the scientist-h-index IPP and the scientist-g-index IPP are Lotkaian with
exponent alpha alpha*. This model is proved for discrete as well as
continuous variables. This shows that the size-frequency distributions of
the h-index and the g-index are very skew in general due to the generally
high value of alpha alpha*. We also calculate the rank-frequency
distributions of the h- and g-index, based on the size-frequency
distributions in the continuous variables case. Examples are given.

Addresses: Univ Hasselt, Diepenbeek, B-3590 Belgium.

Publisher Name: INT SOC SCIENTOMETRICS & INFORMETRICS-ISSI
Publisher Address: KATHOLIEKE UNIV LEUVEN, FACULTEIT E T E W, DEKENSTRAAT
2, LEUVEN, B-3000, BELGIUM

BALL P
Index aims for fair ranking of scientists
NATURE 436 : 900 2005

 BORNMANN L
Does the h-index for ranking of scientists really work?
SCIENTOMETRICS 65 : 391 2005

 BRAUN T
A Hirsch-type index for journals
SCIENTIST 19 : 8 2005

 BURRELL QL
Hirsch's h-index: a stochastic model
IN PRESS J INFORMETR 1 : 2007

 EGGHE L
An improvement in the h-index: the g-index
ISSI NEWSLETTER 2 : 8 2006

 EGGHE L
Dynamic h-index: The Hirsch index in function of time
J AM SOC INF SCI TEC 58 : 452 2007

 EGGHE L
POWER LAWS INFORMETR : 2005

 EGGHE L
How to improve the h-index
SCIENTIST 20 : 14 2006

 EGGHE L
An informetric model for the Hirsch-index
SCIENTOMETRICS 69 : 121 2006

 EGGHE L
Theory and practise of the g-index
SCIENTOMETRICS 69 : 131 2006

 GLANZEL W
On the opportunities and limitations of the h-index
SCI FOCUS 1 : 10 2006

 GLANZEL W
On the h-index - A mathematical approach to a new measure of publication
activity and citation impact
SCIENTOMETRICS 67 : 315 2006

 HIRSCH JE
An index to quantify an individual's scientific research output
P NATL ACAD SCI USA 102 : 16569 2005

 LOTKA AJ
The frequency distribution of scientific productivity
J WASHINGTON ACADEMY 16 : 317 1926

 REDNER S
How popular is your paper? An empirical study of the citation distribution
EUR PHYS J B 4 : 131 1998

 REDNER S
Citation statistics from 110 years of Physical Review
PHYS TODAY 58 : 49 2005

 ROUSSEAU R
Sitations: am exploratory study
CYBERMETRICS 1 : 1997

 VANRAAN AFJ
Comparison of the Hirsch-index with standard bibliometric indicators and
with peer judgment for 147 chemistry research groups
SCIENTOMETRICS 67 : 491 2006