Raghupathi, W (Raghupathi, W.); Nerur, S (Nerur, S.) Research Themes and Trends in Health Information Systems METHODS OF INFORMATION IN MEDICINE, 47 (5): 435-442 2008

K S Chudamani ksc at LIBRARY.IISC.ERNET.IN
Mon Dec 15 10:24:44 EST 2008

In a similar study that was  carried out in 2005 and included in sis 2005
held at vishakapattanam, India, it was found that library and information
science and in particular digital libraries has psychology as an important
subject, in addition to its well known core subjects

Chudamani

> E-mail Address: raghupathi at fordham.edu
>
> Author(s): Raghupathi, W (Raghupathi, W.); Nerur, S (Nerur, S.)
>
> Title: Research Themes and Trends in Health Information Systems
>
> Source: METHODS OF INFORMATION IN MEDICINE, 47 (5): 435-442 2008
>
> Language: English
>
> Document Type: Article
>
> Author Keywords: Author co-citation analysis (ACA); bibliometrics; field;
> health information system (HIS); sub-field
>
> Keywords Plus: AUTHOR COCITATION ANALYSIS; MEDICAL INFORMATICS;
> INTELLECTUAL STRUCTURE; SCIENCE; BIOINFORMATICS; DISCIPLINE; CORE;
> JOURNALS; DATABASE; SERIALS
>
> Abstract: Objectives: The health information systems (HIS) field is
> characterized as being associated with health care and information
> systems. Drawing on several disciplines, a body of knowledge has come
> together that help define the core internal structure of the field. This
> study attempts to identify the emerging sub-fields using the bibliometric
> technique of author-cocitation analysis.
> Methods. Co-citation data for members of editorial boards of several
> health information systems journals for the period of 1998-2006 was
> collected and analyzed (N = 166). We performed numerous multivariate
> analyses, including cluster analysis, factor analysis and multidimensional
> scaling to extract the sub-fields.
> Results. Our findings indicate the presence of several strong sub-fields,
> including HIS evaluation, communication and e-health, and clinical DSS. In
> addition, we identified other sub-fields that are distinct but still
> emerging, such as adoption, outcome and policy, and use and impact of HIS.
> The study also confirms the existence of several historical sub-fields and
> contrasts technology-oriented sub-fields with management-oriented sub-
> fields. Topics on the periphery of HIS provide links to other disciplines
> as well.
> Conclusions. The study provides a unique perspective on the field of HIS,
> and the results indicate opportunities for further research that explores
> collaborations and social networks among the sub-fields.
>
> Addresses: [Raghupathi, W.] Fordham Univ, New York, NY 10023 USA; [Nerur,
> S.] Univ Texas Arlington, Arlington, TX 76019 USA
>
> Reprint Address: Raghupathi, W, Fordham Univ, 113 W 60th Sreet, New York,
> NY 10023 USA.
>
> E-mail Address: raghupathi at fordham.edu
>
> Cited Reference Count: 34
>
> Times Cited: 0
>
> Publisher: SCHATTAUER GMBH-VERLAG MEDIZIN NATURWISSENSCHAFTEN
>
> Publisher Address: HOLDERLINSTRASSE 3, D-70174 STUTTGART, GERMANY
>
> ISSN: 0026-1270
>
> DOI: 10.3414/ME0516
>
> 29-char Source Abbrev.: METHODS INFORM MED
>
> ISO Source Abbrev.: Methods Inf. Med.
>
> Source Item Page Count: 8
>
> Subject Category: Computer Science, Information Systems; Health Care
> Sciences & Services; Medical Informatics
>
> ISI Document Delivery No.: 365ND
>
> ALDENDERFER MS
> [...]

believed to be clean.