Slafer, GA (Slafer, Gustavo A.) Should crop scientists consider a journal's impact factor in deciding where to publish? EUROPEAN JOURNAL OF AGRONOMY, 29 (4): 208-212 NOV 2008

Wed Dec 10 13:50:46 EST 2008

E-mail Address: slafer at pvcf.udl.es

Author(s): Slafer, GA (Slafer, Gustavo A.)

Title: Should crop scientists consider a journal's impact factor in
deciding where to publish?

Source: EUROPEAN JOURNAL OF AGRONOMY, 29 (4): 208-212 NOV 2008

Language: English

Document Type: Article

Author Keywords: Impact factor; Citation; Paper impact; scientist
evaluation

Abstract: To publish papers that have impact is indispensable for good
scientists. It is frequently accepted that the impact factor (IF) of a
journal reflects the likelihood of a paper to have impact. Many scientists
may then attempt publishing their papers in journals with the highest
possible IF. This is relevant for crop scientists as in many cases Our
hypotheses may be relevant to agronomy/agriculture hot the product of Our
work may be published in the more basic plant science journals, which in
general have higher IF than agronomic journals. To test whether agronomic
journals may be better vehicles than plant science journals for crop
physiological work, I did an analysis of my own publications
(only "standard" papers. disregarding reviews) relating their annual
Citation rates against the IF of the journal in which they were published.
The relationship was virtually inexistent, and my most frequently quoted
papers were published in agronomic rather than in plant sciences journals.
Conversely, restricting the analysis to the papers published within
agronomic journals there was a relationship between the record of
citations of the papers and the IF of the journals, Particularly if the
analysis is restricted to the most quoted papers in each journal. I then
analyzed the cases of three other well-recognized crop scientists, to
check whether the findings with my results were exceptional, and in the
three cases results were remarkably similar. Therefore, it seems that the
journal IF might be a valuable criterion for choosing the best journal in
which to publish our best contributions only when comparing within
agronomic journals, but not within combinations of agronomy and plant
science journals. This should be also taken into account ill evaluation
processes when comparing scientists Working in related but not identical
fields. (C) 2008 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.

Addresses: Univ Lleida, ICREA Catalonian Inst Res & Adv Studies, Dept Crop
& Forest Sci, Ctr UdL IRTA, Lleida 25198, Spain

Reprint Address: Slafer, GA, Univ Lleida, ICREA Catalonian Inst Res & Adv
Studies, Dept Crop & Forest Sci, Ctr UdL IRTA, Av Rovira Roure 191, Lleida
25198, Spain.

E-mail Address: slafer at pvcf.udl.es

Cited Reference Count: 6

Times Cited: 0

Publisher: ELSEVIER SCIENCE BV

Publisher Address: PO BOX 211, 1000 AE AMSTERDAM, NETHERLANDS

ISSN: 1161-0301

DOI: 10.1016/j.eja.2008.07.001

29-char Source Abbrev.: EUR J AGRON

ISO Source Abbrev.: Eur. J. Agron.

Source Item Page Count: 5

Subject Category: Agronomy

ISI Document Delivery No.: 364IU

AMIN M
PERSPECTIVES PUBLISH 1 : 1 2000

FRANKLIN J
Revision and complication rates in 654 Exeter total hip replacements, with
a maximum follow-up of 20 years
BMC MUSCULOSKELETAL DISORDERS 4 : ARTN 6 2003

HAMILTON DP
RESEARCH PAPERS - WHOS UNCITED NOW
SCIENCE 251 : 25 1991

HIRSCH JE
An index to quantify an individual's scientific research output
PROCEEDINGS OF THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES OF THE UNITED STATES OF
AMERICA 102 : 16569 DOI
10.1073/pnas.0507655102 2005

SEGLEN PO
BRIT MED J 314 : 497 1997

SLAFER GA
Multiple authorship of crop science papers: are there too many co-authors?
FIELD CROPS RESEARCH 94 : 272 DOI 10.1016/j.fcr.2004.11.011 2005