Query on usage research and logfiles

Phil Davis pmd8 at CORNELL.EDU
Tue Dec 2 09:30:17 EST 2008

Chris,
You'll need to remember that a) interface will affect download counts;
and b) different sites count differently

a). Even the same content found on different publisher's websites will
show different patterns of usage [1]

b). Different sites often use different protocols for filtering out
downloads from known indexing robots (eg. Google), double-clicks, and
the like. For example, we found that known robots were responsible for
nearly half of the downloads for free online articles (compared to
subscription access articles) within the first six-months [2]

As a result, simply aggregating multiple data sources is not going to
give you a consistent readership count.

[1] Davis, P. M., & Price, J. S. (2006). eJournal interface can
influence usage statistics: implications for libraries, publishers, and
Project COUNTER. Journal of the American Society for Information Science
and Technology, 57(9), 1243-1248. http://arxiv.org/abs/cs.IR/0602060

[2] Davis, P. M., Lewenstein, B. V., Simon, D. H., Booth, J. G., &
Connolly, M. J. L. (2008). Open access publishing, article downloads and
citations: randomised trial. BMJ, 337, 586-.
http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/337/jul31_1/a568

--Phil Davis

--
Philip M. Davis