Ball, P (Ball, Philip) A longer paper gathers more citations NATURE, 455 (7211): 274-275 SEP 18 2008

Stephen J Bensman notsjb at LSU.EDU
Mon Dec 1 17:20:18 EST 2008

I have read this article for the hell of it, and, just as I suspected,
Ball does not appear to know that review articles are longer but more
highly cited than other types of article in the sciences for very good
functional reasons.  He is trying to make a joke of citation analysis,
but he appears to be ignorant of the very basics of citation analysis,
so that he does not take into account this important variable.
Historically the Nature editorial board has been extremely hostile to
citation analysis that they will publish anything anti-citation no
matter how ignorant or inaccurate.  Again--for the hell of it--I looked
up the top journal in impact factor in the 2007 JCR, and it is--just as
I suspected-- ANNUAL REVIEW OF ASTRONOMY AND ASTROPHYSICS published by
Annual Reviews.  The next journal has also a high proportion of review
articles.  Anybody interested in the reasons why review articles are
more highly cited in the sciences may consult my paper at the following
http://garfield.library.upenn.edu/bensman/bensman072008.pdf

It all has something to do with the need for consensual paradigms in the
sciences.

Stephen J. Bensman
LSU Libraries
Louisiana State University