Choi, SJ (Choi, Stephen J.); Gulati, GM (Gulati, G. Mitu) Ranking judges according to citation bias (as a means to reduce bias) NOTRE DAME LAW REVIEW, 82 (3): 1279-1309 MAR 2007

Wed Apr 30 12:14:17 EDT 2008

Email Address: stephen.choi at nyu.edu

Author(s): Choi, SJ (Choi, Stephen J.); Gulati, GM (Gulati, G. Mitu)

Title: Ranking judges according to citation bias (as a means to reduce
bias)

Source: NOTRE DAME LAW REVIEW, 82 (3): 1279-1309 MAR 2007

Language: English

Document Type: Article

Abstract: In our Essay, we put forward a methodology to assess the amount
of political bias that affects judges based on the decisions judges make
on whom to cite in their opinions. Unlike prior studies looking at
judicial bias that focus on judicial voting outcomes, our study of bias in
citation practices is aimed at uncovering more subtle forms of bias.
Judges may shy away from acting overly biased when making a highly visible
decision such as voting in a particular case, but instead seek to shift
the law more subtly through their reasoning and citation patterns in the
opinion, thereby affecting future precedent. Using a unique dataset of the
citation patterns contained in federal circuit court decisions from 1998
to 1999, we provide a preliminary ranking of judges based on political
bias. Our Essay makes the normative case for ranking judges based on
political bias. Judges may aim to act without bias (or at least want the
public to perceive judges as unbiased). But their predispositions likely
result in biases. If judges can be made aware of biased behavior, when
measured systematically over a large set of cases, we argue that judges
will endeavor to reduce their level of bias. Demonstrating themselves as
less biased may improve the judges’ chances of future promotion and also
improve their standing among their peers and the public.

Keywords Plus: FEDERAL-COURTS; APPEALS; ACCOUNTABILITY; POLITICS; JUSTICE

Addresses: NYU, New York, NY 10012 USA; Duke Univ, Durham, NC 27706 USA

Reprint Address: Choi, SJ, NYU, 550 1St Ave, New York, NY 10012 USA.

Cited Reference Count: 30

Times Cited: 1

Publisher: NOTRE DAME LAW SCHOOL

Publisher Address: NOTRE DAME LAW SCHOOL, ROOM B1, NOTRE DAME, IN 46556
USA

ISSN: 0745-3515

29-char Source Abbrev.: NOTRE DAME LAW REV

ISO Source Abbrev.: Notre Dame Law Rev.

Source Item Page Count: 31

Subject Category: Law

ISI Document Delivery No.: 156NN

BRUDNEY JJ
VANDERBILT LAW REV 58 : 1 2005

BYBEE JS
FLA ST U L REV 32 : 1055 2005

CHOI SJ
Choosing the next supreme court justice: An empirical ranking of judge
performance
SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA LAW REVIEW 78 : 23 2004

EASTERBROOK FH
THE MOST INSIGNIFICANT JUSTICE - FURTHER EVIDENCE
UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO LAW REVIEW 50 : 481 1983

EPSTEIN L
Toward a strategic revolution in judicial politics: A look back, a look
ahead
POLITICAL RESEARCH QUARTERLY 53 : 625 2000

FRIEDMAN B
The politics of judicial review
TEXAS LAW REVIEW 84 : 257 2005

HETTINGER VA
The role and impact of chief judges on the United States Courts of Appeals
JUSTICE SYSTEM JOURNAL 24 : 91 2003

KLEIN D
The prestige and influence of individual judges on the US courts of
appeals
JOURNAL OF LEGAL STUDIES 28 : 371 1999

KLEIN DE
WASH LEE L REV 62 : 1709 2005

LANDES WM
Judicial influence: A citation analysis of federal courts of appeals
judges
JOURNAL OF LEGAL STUDIES 27 : 271 1998

LERNER JS
Accounting for the effects of accountability
PSYCHOLOGICAL BULLETIN 125 : 255 1999

LINDGREN J
J L POL 17 : 1 2001

LINDQUIST S
IN PRESS U RICH L RE 41 : 2007

LINDQUIST SA
The influence of jurisprudential considerations on supreme court
decisionmaking: A study of conflict cases
LAW & SOCIETY REVIEW 40 : 135 2006

LOTT J
J EMPIRICAL LEGAL ST 2 : 407 2005

MARSHALL WP
Be careful what you wish for: The problems with using empirical rankings
to select supreme court justices
SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA LAW REVIEW 78 : 119 2004

MCCORMICK P
OSGOODE HALL L J 33 : 453 1996

POSNER RA
HAND,LEARNED - THE MAN AND THE JUDGE - GUNTHER,G
YALE LAW JOURNAL 104 : 511 1994

REVESZ RL
Environmental regulation, ideology, and the DC Circuit
VIRGINIA LAW REVIEW 83 : 1717 1997

SEAMONE ER
Judicial mindfulness
UNIVERSITY OF CINCINNATI LAW REVIEW 70 : 1023 2002

SELYA BM
FLA ST U L REV 32 : 1281 2005

SHAPIRO SA
JUDICIAL INCENTIVES AND INDETERMINANCY IN SUBSTANTIVE REVIEW OF
ADMINISTRATIVE DECISIONS
DUKE LAW JOURNAL 44 : 1051 1995

SMYTH R
AM I EC REV 5 : 233 2005

SMYTH R
FLA ST U L REV 32 : 1299 2005

SMYTH R
U QUEENSLAND LAW J 21 : 7 2000

SNYTH R
JLEGAL STUD 30 : 223 2001

SOLUM LB
FLA ST U L REV 32 : 1365 2005

SUNSTEIN CR
Ideological voting on federal courts of appeals: A preliminary
investigation
VIRGINIA LAW REVIEW 90 : 301 2004

TAHA AE
AM L EC REV 6 : 1 2004

TETLOCK PE
ACCOUNTABILITY AND THE PERSEVERANCE OF 1ST IMPRESSIONS
SOCIAL PSYCHOLOGY QUARTERLY 46 : 285 1983