Impact factors and h-index returned in search?

Loet Leydesdorff loet at LEYDESDORFF.NET
Sat Apr 19 08:31:54 EDT 2008

Dear Ari,

With hindsight, I wondered whether there are no legal limitations on the
collection of data at the individual level. There is an issue of privacy
protection involved, in my opinion. Did you happen to look into this in your
national context (Germany?) and at the EU-level?

Is anybody on the list aware of some legal and/or ethical dispute about
this? Should we perhaps take steps as a community? There is an increasing
practice of using these statistics as the basis for hiring, promotion, etc.

Best wishes,

Loet

  _____

Loet Leydesdorff
Amsterdam School of Communications Research (ASCoR),
Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam.
Tel.: +31-20- 525 6598; fax: +31-20- 525 3681
 <mailto:loet at leydesdorff.net> loet at leydesdorff.net ;
<http://www.leydesdorff.net/> http://www.leydesdorff.net/

  _____