Mansilla, R (Mansilla, R.); Koppen, E (Koppen, E.); Cocho, G (Cocho, G.); Miramontes, P (Miramontes, P.) On the behavior of journal impact factor rank-order distribution JOURNAL OF INFORMETRICS, 1 (2): 155-160 APR 2007

Wed Apr 2 15:33:25 EDT 2008

E-mail Address: pmv at fciencias.unam.mx

Author(s): Mansilla, R (Mansilla, R.); Koppen, E (Koppen, E.); Cocho, G
(Cocho, G.); Miramontes, P (Miramontes, P.)

Title: On the behavior of journal impact factor rank-order distribution

Source: JOURNAL OF INFORMETRICS, 1 (2): 155-160 APR 2007

Language: English

Document Type: Article

Author Keywords: Zipf's law; Lotkaian informetrics; power laws; impact
factors

Keywords Plus: MODEL

Abstract: An empirical law for the rank-order behavior of journal impact
factors is found. Using an extensive data base on impact factors including
journals on education, agrosciences, geosciences, mathematics, chemistry,
medicine, engineering, physics, biosciences and environmental, computer
and material sciences, we have found extremely good fittings outperforming
other rank-order models. Based in our results, we propose a two-exponent
Lotkaian Informetrics. Some extensions to other areas of knowledge are
discussed. (c) 2007 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.

Addresses: Univ Nacl Autonoma Mexico, Fac Ciencias, Mexico City 04510, DF,
Mexico; Univ Nacl Autonoma Mexico, Ctr Invest Interdisciplinaries Ciencias
& Humanid, Mexico City 04510, DF, Mexico; Univ Nacl Autonoma Mexico, Inst
Fis, Mexico City 04510, DF, Mexico

Reprint Address: Miramontes, P, Univ Nacl Autonoma Mexico, Fac Ciencias,
Mexico City 04510, DF, Mexico.

E-mail Address: pmv at fciencias.unam.mx

Cited Reference Count: 26

Times Cited: 0

Publisher: ELSEVIER SCIENCE BV

Publisher Address: PO BOX 211, 1000 AE AMSTERDAM, NETHERLANDS

ISSN: 1751-1577

NATURE 435 : 1003 2005

BAK P
SELF-ORGANIZED CRITICALITY - AN EXPLANATION OF 1/F NOISE
PHYSICAL REVIEW LETTERS 59 : 381 1987

BARABASI AL
LINKED NEW SCI NETWO : 2002

CONDON EU
Statistics of vocabulary
SCIENCE 67 : 300 1928

DEMARCHI M
The editorial policies of scientific journals: Testing an impact factor
model
SCIENTOMETRICS 51 : 395 2001

DEWEY G
RELATIVE FREQUENCY E : 1923

DRESDEN A
B AM MATHEMATICAL SO 28 : 303 1922

EGGHE L
INTRO INFORM : 1990

EGGHE L
POWER LAWS INFORM PR : 2005

ESTOUP JB
GEMMES STENOGRAPHIQU : 1916

FROHLICH G
REV INFORM SCI 1 : 1 1996

GARFIELD E
CURR CONTENTS 25 : 3 1994

LANGTON CG
COMPUTATION AT THE EDGE OF CHAOS - PHASE-TRANSITIONS AND EMERGENT
COMPUTATION
PHYSICA D 42 : 12 1990

LEQUAN H
P 17 INT C COMP LING : 2002

LI WT
EXPANSION-MODIFICATION SYSTEMS - A MODEL FOR SPATIAL 1/F SPECTRA
PHYSICAL REVIEW A 43 : 5240 1991

LOTKA AJ
J WASHINGTON ACADEMY 16 : 317 1926

MANDELBROT B
WORD 10 : 1 1954

MANSILLA R
COMPLEX SYSTEMS 12 : 207 2000

MCELVEY B
EMERGENCE 3 : 137 2001

MERTON RK
MATTHEW EFFECT IN SCIENCE
SCIENCE 159 : 56 1968

POPESCU II
GLOTTOMETRICS 6 : 83 2003

SIMON H
MODELS MAN : 1957

SIMON HA
ON A CLASS OF SKEW DISTRIBUTION FUNCTIONS
BIOMETRIKA 42 : 425 1955

WILLIS J
AGE AREA : 1922

YULE GU