Bommann, L (Bommann, Lutz); Daniel, HD (Daniel, Hans-Dieter) Convergent validation of peer review decisions using the h index - Extent of and reasons for type I and type II errors JOURNAL OF INFORMETRICS, 1 (3): 204-213 JUL 2007

Tue Apr 1 11:41:50 EDT 2008

E-mail Address: bommann at gess.ethz.ch; daniel at evaluation.unizh.ch

Author(s): Bommann, L (Bommann, Lutz); Daniel, HD (Daniel, Hans-Dieter)

Title: Convergent validation of peer review decisions using the h index -
Extent of and reasons for type I and type II errors

Source: JOURNAL OF INFORMETRICS, 1 (3): 204-213 JUL 2007

Language: English

Document Type: Article

Author Keywords: research performance; h index; Hirsch index; convergent
validity; peer review; type I and type II errors

Keywords Plus: PREDICTIVE-VALIDITY; COMMITTEE; SELECTION; PUBLICATIONS;
SCIENTISTS; FAIRNESS; JOURNALS

Abstract: Hirsch [Hirsch, J. E. (2005). An index to quantify an
individual's scientific research output. Proceedings of the National
Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 102(46), 16569-16572]
has proposed the h index as a single-number criterion to evaluate the
scientific output of a researcher. We investigated the convergent validity
of decisions for awarding long-term fellowships to post-doctoral
researchers as practiced by the Boehringer Ingelheim Fonds (B.I.F.) by
using the h index. Our study examined 414 B.I.F. applicants (64 approved
and 350 rejected) with a total of 1586 papers. The results of our study
show that the applicants' h indices correlate substantially with standard
bibliometric indicators. Even though the h indices of approved B.I.F.
applicants on average (arithmetic mean and median) are higher than those
of rejected applicants (and with this, fundamentally confirm the validity
of the funding decisions), the distributions of the h indices show in part
overlaps that we categorized as type I error (falsely drawn approval) or
type II error (falsely drawn rejection). Approximately, one-third of the
decisions to award a fellowship to an applicant show a type I error, and
about one-third of the decisions not to award a fellowship to an applicant
show a type II error. Our analyses of possible reasons for these errors
show that the applicant's field of study but not personal ties between the
B.I.F. applicant and the B.I.F. can increase or decrease the risks for
type I and type II errors. (c) 2007 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.

Addresses: ETH, CH-8092 Zurich, Switzerland; Univ Zurich, Evaluat Off, CH-
8001 Zurich, Switzerland

Reprint Address: Bommann, L, ETH, Zaehringerstr 24, CH-8092 Zurich,
Switzerland.

Cited Reference Count: 44

Times Cited: 0

Publisher: ELSEVIER SCIENCE BV

Publisher Address: PO BOX 211, 1000 AE AMSTERDAM, NETHERLANDS

ISSN: 1751-1577

SCIENCE 309 : 1181 2005

*BOEHR ING FDN
FDN PROGR : 1999

*NAT AC SCI
QUAL RES SCI : 1982

*STATCORP
STAT STAT SOFTW REL : 2005

BORMANN L
J AM SOC INFORM SCI : 1998

BORNMANN L
Criteria used by a peer review committee for selection of research
fellows - A boolean probit analysis
INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF SELECTION AND ASSESSMENT 13 : 296 2005

BORNMANN L
Committee peer review at an international research foundation: predictive
validity and fairness of selection decisions on post-graduate fellowship
applications
RESEARCH EVALUATION 14 : 15 2005

BORNMANN L
Selecting scientific excellence through committee peer review - A citation
analysis of publications previously published to approval or rejection of
post-doctoral research fellowship applicants
SCIENTOMETRICS 68 : 427 DOI 10.1007/s11192-006-0121-1 2006

BORNMANN L
Selection of research fellowship recipients by committee peer review.
Reliability, fairness and predictive validity of Board of Trustees'
decisions
SCIENTOMETRICS 63 : 297 DOI 10.1007/s11192-005-0214-2 2005

CAMPANARIO JM
Peer review for journals as it stands today - Part 2
SCIENCE COMMUNICATION 19 : 277 1998

COHEN J
STAT POWER ANAL BEHA : 1988

COLE JR
WEB KNOWLEDGE FESTSC : 281 2000

CONROY RM
STATA J 2 : 290 2002

CRAMER H
MATH METHODS STAT : 1980

CRONBACH LJ
PSYCHOL TESTS PERSON : 1965

CRONIN B
Using the h-index to rank influential information scientists
JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR INFORMATION SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
57 : 1275 DOI 10.1002/asi.20354 2006

DAGOSTINO RB
A SUGGESTION FOR USING POWERFUL AND INFORMATIVE TESTS OF NORMALITY
AMERICAN STATISTICIAN 44 : 316 1990

DANIEL HD
Publications as a measure of scientific advancement and of scientists'
productivity
LEARNED PUBLISHING 18 : 143 2005

EGGHE L
DYNAMIC H INDEX HIRS : 2006

EGGHE L
ISSI NEWSLETTER 2 : 8 2006

EGGHE L
SCIENTIST 20 : 14 2006

FROHLICH H
BIF FUTURA 19 : 227 2004

FROHLICH H
BIF FUTURA 16 : 69 2001

GARFIELD E
LAUNCHING THE ISI ATLAS OF SCIENCE - FOR THE NEW-YEAR, A NEW GENERATION OF
REVIEWS
CURRENT CONTENTS 5 : 3 1987

GLANZEL W
SCI FOCUS 1 : 10 2006

HIRSCH JE
An index to quantify an individual's scientific research output
PROCEEDINGS OF THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES OF THE UNITED STATES OF
AMERICA 102 : 16569 DOI 10.1073/pnas.0507655102 2005

HOSMER DW
APPL LOGISTIC REGRES : 2000

KELLY CD
The h index and career assessment by numbers
TRENDS IN ECOLOGY & EVOLUTION 21 : 167 DOI 10.1016/j.tree.2006.01.005 2006

KLINE RB
SIGNIFICANCE TESTING : 2004

LONG JS
REGRESSION MODELS CA : 2003

MARSHALL E
DOES NIH SHORTCHANGE CLINICIAN
SCIENCE 265 : 20 1994

MOED HF
CITATION ANAL RES EV : 2005

ONG JS
REGRESSION MODELS CA : 1997

PFEFFER J
EFFECT OF UNCERTAINTY ON USE OF SOCIAL-INFLUENCE IN ORGANIZATIONAL
DECISION-MAKING
ADMINISTRATIVE SCIENCE QUARTERLY 21 : 227 1976

ROEDIGER HL
OBSERVER ACAD OBSERV 19 : 2006

ROEDIGER HL
SCI EXCELLENCE ORIGI : 222 1987

ROYSTON P
STATA TECHNICAL B RE 1 : 110 1991

SEGLEN PO
Why the impact factor of journals should not be used for evaluating
research
BRITISH MEDICAL JOURNAL 314 : 498 1997

SPEARMAN C
The proof and measurement of association between two things
AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PSYCHOLOGY 15 : 72 1904

TAYLOR M
4 INT C PEER REV BIO 2001

THORNGATE W
MINING ARCHIVES ANAL : 2002

VANRAAN AFJ
HDB QUANTITATIVE SCI : 19 2004

VANRAAN AFJ
Comparison of the Hirsch-index with standard bibliometric indicators and
with peer judgment for 147 chemistry research groups
SCIENTOMETRICS 67 : 491 DOI 10.1556/Scient.67.2006.3.10 2006

ZUCKERMAN H
PATTERNS OF EVALUATION IN SCIENCE - INSTITUTIONALISATION, STRUCTURE AND
FUNCTIONS OF REFEREE SYSTEM
MINERVA 9 : 66 1971