Bibliometrics for Arts & Humanities

Stephen J. Bensman notsjb at LSU.EDU
Fri Sep 21 10:32:24 EDT 2007

Alec,
Before you get involved with using tools like Scopus, etc., to evaluate
the humanities, I think that you have to investigate the basic question of
why agencies like the US National Research Council rejected using
publication/citation counts, etc., to evaluate research-doctorate programs
in the humanities.  You may start by looking at the following Web site:

http://www7.nationalacademies.org/resdoc/index.html

I would also advise you to investigate why the Institute for Scientific
Information did not develop a JCR for the Arts & Humanities Citation
Index.  Perhaps you should go to the Web site below to read what Eugene
Garfield wrote about citations in the humanities:

http://www.garfield.library.upenn.edu/

There appear to be major problems with using such counts for the
humanities. One problem that I can think of is that the humanities are
spread over time, geography, and culture to a much greater extent than the
sciences and social sciences.  Therefore, humanists tend to work in
temporal/cultural pockets isolated from each other, making comparisons
much more difficult due to the differing variables affecting these pockets.

Stephen J. Bensman
LSU Libraries
Lousiana State University
Baton Rouge, LA 70803