Rowlands, I; Nicholas, D "The missing link: journal usage metrics" ASLIB PROCEEDINGS 59 (3). 2007. p.222-228

Johan Bollen jbollen at LANL.GOV
Tue Sep 4 15:01:46 EDT 2007

Hi all,

I have not yet had a chance to obtain a copy of the article, but I
was surprised not to find the following among its 6 cited references:

Johan Bollen, Herbert Van de Sompel. Usage Impact Factor: the effects
of sample characteristics on usage-based impact metrics. JASIST, in
press (http://arxiv.org/abs/cs/0610154, 2006)

Instead of examining the hypothetical value of easy-to-understand,
usage-based metrics and the potential value of linking article
publication year to full text downloads, this article actually:

1) introduces and calculates a "usage impact factor (UIF)" that links
article publication year to full text downloads,
2) is based on a large-scale usage data set (one year of usage
recorded by the California State University link resolvers),
3) investigates the UIF's properties for a range of scholarly
communities, including their demographics, and perhaps most importantly:
4) clearly shows that link resolver log data, like many other sources
of usage data, is far from "uninterpretable".

With regards to the last point, another article of relevance that
seems to have not been picked up by the authors:

Johan  Bollen, Herbert Van de Sompel, Joan Smith, and Rick Luce.
Toward alternative metrics of  journal impact: a comparison of
download and citation data. Information Processing and Management, 41
(6):1419–1440 (http://arxiv.org/abs/cs/0503007)

Kind regards,

Johan.

----
Johan Bollen
Los Alamos National Laboratory (P362-proto)
Los Alamos, NM 87545
Ph: 505 606 0030, Fx: 505 665 6452
jbollen at lanl.gov, http://public.lanl.gov/jbollen
----