Fok D, Franses PH , "Modeling the diffusion of scientific publications " JOURNAL OF ECONOMETRICS 139 (2): 376-390 AUG 2007

Eugene Garfield eugene.garfield at THOMSON.COM
Tue Oct 2 14:07:17 EDT 2007

E-mail Addresses: P.H. Franses : franses at few.eur.nl

Title: Modeling the diffusion of scientific publications

Author(s): Fok D (Fok, Dennis), Franses PH (Franses, Philip Hans)

Source: JOURNAL OF ECONOMETRICS 139 (2): 376-390 AUG 2007

Document Type: Article
Language: English
Cited References: 16      Times Cited: 0

Abstract: This paper illustrates that salient features of a panel of time
series of annual citations can be captured by a Bass type diffusion model.
We put forward an extended version of this diffusion model, where we
consider the relation between key characteristics of the diffusion process
and features of the articles. More specifically, parameters measuring
citations' ceiling and the timing of peak citations are correlated with
specific features of the articles like the number of pages and the number
of authors. Our approach amounts to a multi-level non-linear regression for
a panel of time series. We illustrate our model for citations to articles
that were published in Econometrica and the Journal of Econometrics.
Amongst other things, we find that more references lead to more citations
and that for the Journal of Econometrics peak citations of more recent
articles tend to occur later.(c) 2006 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.

Addresses: Franses PH (reprint author), Erasmus Univ, Inst Econometr, POB
1738, NL-3000 DR Rotterdam, Netherlands
Erasmus Univ, Inst Econometr, NL-3000 DR Rotterdam, Netherlands

E-mail Addresses: franses at few.eur.nl

Publisher: ELSEVIER SCIENCE SA, PO BOX 564, 1001 LAUSANNE, SWITZERLAND