corporate addresses in ISI data at the WoS

Loet Leydesdorff loet at LEYDESDORFF.NET
Tue Oct 2 04:44:56 EDT 2007

Dear colleagues,

Costas, R., & Iribarren-Maestro, I. (2007). Variations in content and format
of ISI databases in their different versions: The case of the Science
Citation Index in CD-ROM and the Web of Science. Scientometrics, 72(2),
167-183.

The article demonstrates how the C1-field for institutional addresses and
the RP-field for reprint requests is sometimes confused and intermingled in
the output of the Web-of-Science. I corrected my online routines (to be
found at http://www.leydesdorff.net/indicators ) so that after the
absorption of all addresses in the C1-field, the RP-field is checked. If the
institutions (third subfield of the record) and the country (last subfield)
match with one of the already captured addresses, the RP-field is skipped.
Otherwise it is added with number 999 as the sequence number for the
addresses.

This correction is now in place for:

*	 ISI.exe which organizes the data saved in tagged format into
databases for relational database management;
*	COAUTH.exe which extracts a Pajek file for coauthorship analysis;
*	INTCOLL.exe which extracts a Pajek file for international (between
country) coauthorship analysis;
*	BIBCOUPL.exe which extracts a Pajek file for the analysis of
bibliographic coupling;
*	BIBJOURN.exe which extracts a Pajek file for the analysis of
bibliographic couping at the level of journals.

All these routines generate the following databases: AU, CS, CR, and CORE.
The latter one contains the unique information of the record (like title and
journal name), while the other ones can be related to this file using the
field NR. The dbf-files can be imported in MS Access for relational database
management.

I take no responsibility for using these files--they may contain bugs--but
feedback is appreciated. I made them primarily for educational purposes and
for my own use, but colleagues are free to share them. I am grateful to
Costas & Irribaren-Maestro for signalling the problem.

With best wishes,

Loet

  _____

Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam
Tel.: +31-20- 525 6598; fax: +31-20- 525 3681
 <mailto:loet at leydesdorff.net> loet at leydesdorff.net ;
<http://www.leydesdorff.net/> http://www.leydesdorff.net/

Now available:
<http://www.universal-publishers.com/book.php?method=ISBN&book=1581129378>
The Knowledge-Based Economy: Modeled, Measured, Simulated. 385 pp.; US$
18.95
 <http://www.universal-publishers.com/book.php?method=ISBN&book=1581126956>
The Self-Organization of the Knowledge-Based Society;
<http://www.universal-publishers.com/book.php?method=ISBN&book=1581126816>
The Challenge of Scientometrics