New posting -- "How do our sentences fit together?"

David E. Wojick dwojick at HUGHES.NET
Thu May 24 11:46:24 EDT 2007

Dear Colleagues,

I have posted a brief introduction to my work on the propositional
structure and dynamics of expressed thought (writing and speaking).
Please see:

http://www.bydesign.com/powervision/Mathematics_Philosophy_Science/How_sentences_fit_together.doc

Mine is more of a discovery than an algorithm. All of the sentences
in a body of writing or speaking have a basic underlying structure.
(Technically it is the atomic propositions, not the sentences.) To
oversimplify, this is because each sentence is answering an unspoken
question of just one other prior sentence.

It is a tree structure and I first found it by analyzing public
policy issues so it is called the Issue Tree. Here is a simple
example--
http://www.bydesign.com/powervision/NOx_trees/NOx-02.pdf

Each path from the top down through the tree is a line of thought. So
if we do an issue tree of a body of scientific literature we will see
the lines of thought that underlie it. This is what I mean by
visualizing the reasoning, which is what we are really interested in
many cases. Many of our visualization methods are seeing the shadow
of the issue tree. There are also many things to measure in the issue
tree.

Actually there are two ways of representing the same tree that are of
special interest. In one the paths proceed historically so we can see
how the science is developing over time. In the other we proceed from
the most general concepts down to the more specific. These are very
different, for as Aristotle says, the order of knowing is opposite
the order of being.

In addition to the divergence of paths in the local issue tree there
is a convergent phenomenon, where a concept jumps from one region (or
subtree) to another. My favorite example is the quantum, which jumped
from heat (Planck) to light (Einstein) to matter (Bohr).

I did a lot of work with issue trees but it was before the PC, so it
is all on paper. I will be happy to discuss it.

Regards to all,

David
--

David E. Wojick, Ph.D., P.E. -- 540-858-3503 -- <dwojick at hughes.net>
391 Flickertail Lane, Star Tannery, VA 22654 USA

http://www.bydesign.com/powervision/resume.html provides my bio and
client list.
http://www.bydesign.com/powervision/Mathematics_Philosophy_Science/
presents some of my own research, including the dynamics and
structure of information.