Lipsky PE " The lack of impact of the "impact factor" in clinical medicine, NATURE CLINICAL PRACTICE RHEUMATOLOGY 3 (4): 189-189 APR 2007

David Goodman dgoodman at PRINCETON.EDU
Tue May 8 21:42:44 EDT 2007

This article claims (on the basis of no data whatsoever) a lack of correlation of the usefulness of journals to
clinicians with their impact factors.

the 6 highest ranking journals in general medicine, by impact factor are:
1.New England Journal of Medicine
2.Lancet
3.JAMA
4.Annals of internal medicine
5.Annual review of medicine
6.British Medical Journal
Leaving aside Annual Review of Medicine, which has the well-understood  high impact factor characteristic of
any review journal, which of these journals does the author propose as having a low impact of clinical
practice?

The author is the editor of Nature Clinical Practice Rheumatology, and 45% of their articles are
classified by PubMed as review articles--as mentioned, the most obvious way of increasing impact factors as
an artifact.    For this journal, the earliest articles are from 2005; using Scopus, which includes the journal,
not a single item in the first issue has more than 2 citations; the mode is zero.

The author claims prejudice because impact factors are prepared by a for-profit company; I think the
evidence shows that Thomson has no prejudice against the equally for-profit NPG: the highest impact factor
title in general science is from that publisher, as is the highest title in experimental medicine (Nature
Medicine).

David Goodman, Ph.D., M.L.S.
previously:
Bibliographer and Research Librarian