Faceted classification, was Patent Classification as Indicators of Cognitive Structures

David E. Wojick dwojick at HUGHES.NET
Fri Mar 23 16:49:31 EDT 2007

So-called faceted taxonomies, etc., are indeed a reflection of the
fact that there are multiple, important ways to classify the same
information. I know of no formal mathematical definition of faceting,
though there may be one. My theory is designed to deliniate all
possible structures, taxonomic and otherwise, in a body of
information. Many of the classification systems in use today combine
and confuse multiple, distinct stuctures. By "structure" I mean the
application of a single well-defined relation, of which there are a
great many.

David

It suggests to me that it might be a faceted classification system -
or a system that is applied in a faceted manner.

For the purposes of a sort of thought experiment, we might consider
MeSH to be faceted.  For an article on say leg fractures of adult
human males we might have fractures, bone
adult
femur OR Fibula OR Patella OR Tibia
femoral neck fractures, etc.
maybe even "activity"/adverse effects or some such...

If you tried to cluster on, say, femur you would get a weak
co-classification because there are indeed many articles on leg
breaks, but also bone cancer and genetic anomalies, etc.

Maybe I should read the article :)

Christina K. Pikas, MLS
R.E. Gibson Library & Information Center
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory
Voice  240.228.4812 (Washington), 443.778.4812 (Baltimore)
Fax 443.778.5353