Chau M, Huang Z, Qin JL, Zhou YL, Chen HC "Building a scientific knowledge web portal: The NanoPort experience " Decision Support Systems 42(2): 1216-1238, November 2006

Fri Mar 23 15:44:39 EDT 2007

E-mail Addresses: mchau at business.hku.hk, zanhuang at psu.edu,
qin at u.arizona.edu, yilu at u.arizona.edu, hchen at eller.arizona.edu

Title: Building a scientific knowledge web portal: The NanoPort experience

Author(s): Chau M (Chau, Michael), Huang Z (Huang, Zan), Qin JL (Qin,
Jialun), Zhou YL (Zhou, Yilu), Chen HC (Chen, Hsinchun)

Source: DECISION SUPPORT SYSTEMS 42 (2): 1216-1238 NOV 2006

Document Type: Article
Language: English
Cited References: 48      Times Cited: 0

Abstract: There has been a tremendous growth in the amount of information
and resources on the World Wide Web that are useful to researchers and
practitioners in science domains. While the Web has made the communication
and sharing of research ideas and results among scientists easier and
faster than ever, its dynamic and unstructured nature also makes the
scientists faced with such problems as information overload, vocabulary
difference, and lack of analysis tools. To address these problems, it is
highly desirable to have an integrated, "one-stop shopping" Web portal to
support effective information searching and analysis as well as to enhance
communication and collaboration among researchers in various scientific
fields. In this paper, we review existing information retrieval techniques
and related literature, and propose a framework for developing integrated
Web portals that support information searching and analysis for scientific
knowledge. Our framework incorporates collection building, meta-searching,
keyword suggestion, and various content analysis techniques such as
document summarization, document clustering, and topic map visualization.
Patent analysis techniques such as citation analysis and content map
analysis are also incorporated. To demonstrate the feasibility of our
approach, we developed based on our architecture a knowledge portal, called
NanoPort, in the field of nanoscale science and engineering. We report our
experience and explore the various issues of relevance to developing a Web
portal for scientific domains. The system was compared to other search
systems in the field and several design issues were identified. An
evaluation study was conducted and the results showed that subjects were
more satisfied with the NanoPort system than with Scirus, a leading search
engine for scientific articles. Through our prototype system, we
demonstrated the feasibility of using such an integrated approach and the
study brought insight into applying the proposed domain-independent
architecture to different areas of science and engineering in the future.
(c) 2006 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.

Addresses: Chau M (reprint author), Univ Hong Kong, Sch Business, Fac
Business & Econ, Hong Kong, Hong Kong Peoples R China

Univ Hong Kong, Sch Business, Fac Business & Econ, Hong Kong, Hong Kong
Peoples R China

Penn State Univ, Smeal Coll Business, Dept Supply Chain & Informat Syst,
University Pk, PA 16802 USA

Univ Arizona, Eller Coll Management, Dept Management Informat Syst, Tucson,
AZ 85721 USA

E-mail Addresses: mchau at business.hku.hk, zanhuang at psu.edu,
qin at u.arizona.edu, yilu at u.arizona.edu, hchen at eller.arizona.edu

Publisher: ELSEVIER SCIENCE BV, PO BOX 211, 1000 AE AMSTERDAM, NETHERLANDS