coauthor networks

Loet Leydesdorff loet at LEYDESDORFF.NET
Wed Mar 21 08:04:12 EDT 2007

Dear colleagues,

In my series of programs for use in the class, I added one which generates a
coauthor network as a Pajek file from a set of documents downloaded from the
ISI databases at the Web-of-Science. The program can be found at
http://www.leydesdorff.net/software/coauth/index.htm.

In addition to a co-occurrence matrix, a cosine-normalized matrix is
generated and the asymmetrical matrix of documents versus authors. This
latter matrix can be used for processing in SPSS. The variable names
correspond with the first ten characters of the name of the respective
author. I advice to use of the cosine-normalized matrix (cosine.dat) for the
visualization. This one is in the Pajek format. The size of the node can be
set (within Pajek) proportional to the logarithm of the number of
authorships in the data.

With best wishes,

Loet

  _____

Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam
Tel.: +31-20- 525 6598; fax: +31-20- 525 3681
 <mailto:loet at leydesdorff.net> loet at leydesdorff.net ;
<http://www.leydesdorff.net/> http://www.leydesdorff.net/

Now available:
<http://www.universal-publishers.com/book.php?method=ISBN&book=1581129378>
The Knowledge-Based Economy: Modeled, Measured, Simulated. 385 pp.; US$
18.95
 <http://www.universal-publishers.com/book.php?method=ISBN&book=1581126956>
The Self-Organization of the Knowledge-Based Society;
<http://www.universal-publishers.com/book.php?method=ISBN&book=1581126816>
The Challenge of Scientometrics