Thesaurus Term Selector

Sylvan Katz j.s.katz at SUSSEX.AC.UK
Mon Mar 12 18:14:56 EDT 2007

David,

I had fun with your Thesaurus Term Selector.

Can you provide a URL to a paper that gives the details of the underlying
data and methodology?

I played with the selector search feature. I was looking for the existence
of well-know established term relationships in your data set. One of the
things I looked for was the well established relationships among the terms
'power laws', 'scaling laws', fractals and chaos. All scaling laws are
power laws they are used to characterize fractal and chaotic systems. I
found that neither the term 'power law' or 'power laws' existed and it was
not obvious to me that I could navigate my way from among the terms scaling
laws, chaos and fractals using the explorer. Is this what you would expect?

>In fact we have started doing Pajek mapping of Word Web. In this case we
are looking at the diffusion
>of an idea in a network of ideas, not a network of people.

Well it could be argued that ideas are only generated by people hence a
network of ideas is a network of people :)

Sylvan

Dr. J. Sylvan Katz, Visiting Fellow
SPRU, University of Sussex
http://www.sussex.ac.uk/Users/sylvank

Adjunct Professor
Mathematics & Statistics, University of Saskatchewan

Associate Researcher
Institut national de la recherche scientifique, University of Quebec