Networks and link data

David E. Wojick dwojick at HUGHES.NET
Mon Mar 12 14:39:32 EDT 2007

Sylvan, I think you are right about attention being constrained rather than strictly conserved. Conserved is metaphorical. The basic point is that if I work on one thing I am not working on others.

We are making headway on the etherial aspect of ideas. The semantic web folks are a leading community here. Google's success shows that the words we use are a good indicator of the ideas we express (and presumeably use). What people call (mistakenly I think) semantic structure is in fact part of the structure of our ideas.

For example, you introduced me to percolation theory. Searching the journals on the referring expression "percolation theory" would give a pretty good picture of where percolation theory was being used, and how it's use has spread over time. Looking at the language that co-occurs with it should show how it is being used as well. So word use is our basic data. In our diffusion work to date we have simply looked at the growth of the use of certain words, using a contagion model to probe the underlying mechanisms.

Beyond words we have structure. An example of structure is our (OSTI's) thing we call Word Web.
https://www.osti.gov/taxonomy/

It is a complex network in which the nodes are about 30,000 scientific and technical words. There are 3 interlaced subnetworks of pairwise word-word relations. These are "use A for B" or prefered synonyms (about 10,000 pairs); "A is broader than, or narrower than, or a subset of B" (taxonomic, with about 45,000 multi-pair paths), and "A is related to B in some unstated way" (about 200,000 pairs).

Arguably this network maps the cognitive structure of a broad area of scientific and technical thought in some basic way. It has changed relatively little since it was started in 1973. Here too one could see where a concept like percolation theory was being used and how that was changing over time. In fact we have started doing Pajek mapping of Word Web. In this case we are looking at the diffusion of an idea in a network of ideas, not a network of people.

I myself have been working on the network structure of reasoning, which is arguably what science is all about. My work is about how sentences or whole thoughts, as opposed to words, form networks. I will post on this separately.

David