Networks and link data, was preprint version "Globalisation in science in 2005"

Sylvan Katz j.s.katz at SUSSEX.AC.UK
Sat Mar 10 12:49:12 EST 2007

David

> seems to me to be an important question. I think a similar problem arises
> in statistical mechanics.

Are you thinking of Percolation Theory?

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percolation_theory>

Albert, R. and A. L. Barabasi, 2002: Statistical mechanics of complex
networks. Reviews of Modern Physics, 74, 47-97.
<http://www.nd.edu/~networks/Publication%20Categories/01%20Review%20Articles/StatisticalMechanics_Rev%20of%20Modern%20Physics%2074,%2047%20(2002).pdf>

Newman, M. E. J. and D. J. Watts, 1999: Scaling and percolation in the
small-world network model. Physical Review E, 60, 7332 LP  - 7342

Essam, J. W., 1980: Percolation theory. Reports on Progress in Physics, 43,
833-912.

Sylvan

Dr. J. Sylvan Katz, Visiting Fellow
SPRU, University of Sussex
http://www.sussex.ac.uk/Users/sylvank

Adjunct Professor
Mathematics & Statistics, University of Saskatchewan

Associate Researcher
Institut national de la recherche scientifique, University of Quebec