British Classification Soc post-RAE talk/discussion - 6 July (fwd)

Loet Leydesdorff loet at LEYDESDORFF.NET
Tue Jun 5 14:46:05 EDT 2007

"Publications, journal impact factors, citations, co-citations, citation
chronometrics (age, growth, latency to peak, decay rate), hub/authority
scores, h-index, prior funding, student counts, co-authorship scores,
endogamy/exogamy, textual proximity, download/co-downloads and their
chronometrics, etc. can all be tested and validated jointly, discipline by
discipline, against their RAE panel rankings in the forthcoming parallel
panel-based and metric RAE in 2008. The weights of each predictor can be
calibrated to maximize the joint correlation with the rankings."

Dear Steven,

I took this from:
Harnad, S. (2007) Open Access Scientometrics and the UK Research Assessment
Exercise. In Proceedings of 11th Annual Meeting of the International Society
for Scientometrics and Informetrics (in press), Madrid, Spain; at
http://eprints.ecs.soton.ac.uk/13804/

It is very clear now: Your aim is to explain the RAE ranking (as the
dependent variable). I remain puzzled why one could wish to do so. One can
expect Type I and Type II errors in these rankings; I would expect both of
the order of 30% (given the literature). If you would be able to reproduce
("calibrate") these rankings using multi-variate regression, you would also
reproduce the error terms.

With best wishes,

Loet

Loet Leydesdorff
Amsterdam School of Communications Research (ASCoR),
Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam.
Tel.: +31-20- 525 6598; fax: +31-20- 525 3681
loet at leydesdorff.net ; http://www.leydesdorff.net/