"Academics strike back at spurious rankings" (Nature, 31 May)

Loet Leydesdorff loet at LEYDESDORFF.NET
Mon Jun 4 02:09:26 EDT 2007

PS.

1. Explaining the RAE ratings does not inform us about their validity!
It only informs us about how they are constructed and can perhaps be
automated.

2. If it works with multiple regression analysis after proper normalization
and validation, the validation of the parameters would not be expected to
hold for a next round because there is a feedback loop ("learning") involved
(in addition to the problem of auto-correlations between the rankings).

Best,  Loet

OK: that is a clear answer. The multiple regression serves to explain the
RAE ratings.
Eventually, you may wish to build an expert system which makes it possible
to generate the RAE ratings without the panelists.

Thank you for the clarification. (I had not clearly understood this from the
previous mailings.)

Best wishes,  Loet