Rowlands, I; Nicholas, D "The missing link: journal usage metrics" ASLIB PROCEEDINGS 59 (3). 2007. p.222-228

Fri Aug 31 14:29:04 EDT 2007

E-mail: i.rowlands at ucl.ac.uk

TITLE:          The missing link: journal usage metrics (Article, English)

AUTHOR:         Rowlands, I; Nicholas, D

SOURCE:         ASLIB PROCEEDINGS 59 (3). 2007. p.222-228 EMERALD GROUP
                PUBLISHING LIMITED, BRADFORD

Document Type: Article
Language: English
Cited References: 6      Times Cited: 0

Abstract:
Purpose - The aim of this short communication is to contribute to a growing
debate about how we can measure the "quality" of journals. More
specifically, the paper argues the need for a new range of standardized
indicators based on reader (rather than author-facing) metrics.
Design/methodology/approach - This is a thought experiment, outlining the
kinds of usage indicators that could be developed alongside the traditional
ISI measures of impact, immediacy and obsolescence.

Findings - The time is ripe to develop a set of standardised. measures of
journal usage that are as easy to understand, and as universally accepted,
as ISI's current citation-based indicators. By linking article publication
year to full text downloads, this article argues that very considerable
value could be extracted from what, in many cases, is almost
uninterpretable data.

Practical implications - Indicators in the form proposed could find a wide
variety of applications, from helping librarians to assess the potential
value-for-money of bundled journal deals, to helping policy-makers and
scholarly communication researchers to better understand the dynamics of
knowledge diffusion.

Originality/value - The development of standardized usage factors in the
form suggested here would radically shift the centre of gravity in
bibliometrics research from the author to the reader. This remains largely
unexplored territory.

Addresses: Rowlands I (reprint author), Univ Coll London, Sch Lib Archive &
Informat Studies, CIBER, London WC1E 6BT, England
Univ Coll London, Sch Lib Archive & Informat Studies, CIBER, London WC1E
6BT, England

Publisher: EMERALD GROUP PUBLISHING LIMITED, 60/62 TOLLER LANE, BRADFORD
BD8 9BY, W YORKSHIRE, ENGLAND