Silverberg, G; Verspagen, B "The size distribution of innovations revisited: An application of extreme value statistics to citation and value measures of patent significance" J. Econometrics 139(2):318-339, August 2007

Fri Aug 31 13:34:56 EDT 2007

E-mail Addresses:
gerald.silverberg at merit.unimaas.nl
b.verspagen at tm.tue.nl

TITLE:          The size distribution of innovations revisited: An
                application of extreme value statistics to citation
and value measures of patent significance (Article, English)

AUTHOR:         Silverberg, G; Verspagen, B

Source: JOURNAL OF ECONOMETRICS 139 (2): 318-339 AUG 2007

Document Type: Article
Language: English
Cited References: 30      Times Cited: 0

Abstract:
This paper focuses on the analysis of size distributions of innovations,
which are known to be highly skewed. We use patent citations as one
indicator of innovation significance, constructing two large datasets from
the European and US Patent Offices at a high level of aggregation, and the
Trajtenberg [1990, A penny for your quotes: patent citations and the value
of innovations. Rand Journal of Economics 21(1), 172-187] dataset on CT
scanners at a very low one. We also study self-assessed reports of patented
innovation values using two very recent patent valuation datasets from the
Netherlands and the UK, as well as a small dataset of patent licence
revenues of Harvard University. Statistical methods are applied to analyse
the properties of the empirical size distributions, where we put special
emphasis on testing for the existence of 'heavy tails', i.e., whether or
not the probability of very large innovations declines more slowly than
exponentially. While overall the distributions appear to resemble a
lognormal, we argue that the tails are indeed fat. We invoke some recent
results from extreme value statistics and apply the Hill [1975. A simple
general approach to inference about the tails of a distribution. The Annals
of Statistics 3, 1163-1174] estimator with data-driven cut-offs to
determine the tail index for the right tails of all datasets except the NL
and UK patent valuations. On these latter datasets we use a maximum
likelihood estimator for grouped data to estimate the tail index for
varying definitions of the right tail. We find significantly and
consistently lower tail estimates for the returns data than the citation
data (around 0.6-1 vs. 3-5). The EPO and US patent citation tail indices
are roughly constant over time, but the latter estimates are significantly
lower than the former. The heaviness of the tails, particularly as measured
by value indicators, we argue, has significant implications for technology
policy and growth. theory, since the second and possibly even the first
moments of these distributions may not exist. (c) 2006 Elsevier B.V. All
rights reserved.

Addresses: Silverberg G (reprint author), Maastricht Univ, MERIT, POB 616,
NL-6200 MD Maastricht, Netherlands
Maastricht Univ, MERIT, NL-6200 MD Maastricht, Netherlands
Eindhoven Univ Technol, ECIS, NL-5600 MB Eindhoven, Netherlands

E-mail Addresses: gerald.silverberg at merit.unimaas.nl, b.verspagen at tm.tue.nl

Publisher: ELSEVIER SCIENCE SA, PO BOX 564, 1001 LAUSANNE, SWITZERLAND