information and information structures

Loet Leydesdorff loet at LEYDESDORFF.NET
Wed Apr 11 09:26:28 EDT 2007

Dear David:

When you speak of information systems are you referring to specific kinds of
nodes and link relations? If so what are they? You seem to have something
specific in mind.

I would be inclined to define an information system as an information
structure which is maintained over time. In the static case (Delta t = 0),
we would only have an information structure or a fingerprint of the
information system.

An information structure is a network or a two-dimensional probability
distribution (matrix).

(Shannon-type) information is only an uncertainty or a one-dimensional
probability distribution.

Is this sufficiently abstract to counter your general theory? :-) I agree
that it depends of the research question and the research design whether
these distinctions are important or not.

Best wishes,  Loet

In contrast, my general theory is designed to define all the possible kinds
of links (i.e., relations) between pieces of information, in such a way that
we can sort out the important structures. Change over time may or may not be
important, depending on the structure, as well as the application of the
analysis.

Cheers, David