Alma Swan on Open Access in American Scientist (the journal)

Sylvan Katz j.s.katz at SUSSEX.AC.UK
Thu Apr 5 15:24:47 EDT 2007

> PS You could, of course, have downloaded the HTML version you accessed!

Indeed this is correct. OR I could have pdf'd the html. OR I could print
the paper and scanned the output to PDF. OR I could email the author and
ask for a PDF copy.

The greater irony is that this excellent paper say "To provide open access,
all that is needed is for each scientist to place a copy of each article,
as soon as it has been peer-reviewed, into an open repository at his
institution. Known as self-archiving, this act takes a few minutes and
costs a scientist nothing."

>>From what I can tell this paper has not been self-archived at author's home
institution even though it is obvious that it has passed peer
reviewed<http://www.keyperspectives.co.uk/openaccessarchive/journalpublications.html>

OR maybe I just wasn't able to find the correct archive location. Did I
miss it?

Don't take my comments the wrong way. I am an advocate of OA - FULL OA. It
is the irony between what is preached and what is practiced that amuses me.
No doubt things will improve with time :)

Sylvan

Dr. J. Sylvan Katz, Visiting Fellow
SPRU, University of Sussex
http://www.sussex.ac.uk/Users/sylvank

Adjunct Professor
Mathematics & Statistics, University of Saskatchewan

Associate Researcher
Institut national de la recherche scientifique, University of Quebec