FW: Research on Peer Review

Eugene Garfield eugene.garfield at THOMSON.COM
Mon Sep 18 10:58:42 EDT 2006

    Dear colleagues

Please find attached a recently published paper (pdf-file) that might be of interest to you. The paper contains new results of our research on peer review:

We investigated committee peer review for awarding long-term fellowships to post-doctoral researchers as practiced by the Boehringer Ingelheim Fonds (B.I.F.) – a foundation for the promotion of basic research in biomedicine. Assessing the validity of selection decisions requires a generally accepted criterion for research impact. A widely used approach is to use citation counts as a proxy for the impact of scientific research. Therefore, a citation analysis for articles published previous to the applicants’ approval or rejection for a B.I.F. fellowship was conducted. Based on our model estimation (negative binomial regression model), journal articles that had been published by applicants approved for a fellowship award (n = 64) prior to applying for the B.I.F. fellowship award can be expected to have 37% (straight counts of citations) and 49% (complete counts of citations) more citations than articles that had been published by rejected applicants (n = 333). Furthermore, comparison with international scientific reference values revealed (a) that articles published by successful and non-successful applicants are cited considerably more often than the “average” publication and (b) that excellent research performance can be expected more of successful than non-successful applicants. The findings confirm that the foundation is not only achieving its goal of selecting the best junior scientists for fellowship awards, but also successfully attracting highly talented young scientists to apply for B.I.F.  fellowships.

We would greatly appreciate receiving your comments on our paper.

Sincerely yours

Lutz Bornmann

PS: If you are active in peer review research, we would be deeply grateful, if you would send us reprints of related papers of your new research on peer review.

Dr. Lutz Bornmann

Download of publications: HYPERLINK "http://www.lutz-bornmann.de/Publications.htm" \nwww.lutz-bornmann.de/Publications.htm

ETH Zurich, D-GESS
Professorship for Social Psychology and Research on Higher Education
Zaehringerstr. 24 / ZAE
CH-8092 Zurich

Phone: 0041 44 632 48 25
Fax: 0041 44 632 12 83