Measurement of scientific consensus by bibiometrics?

Chaomei Chen Chaomei.Chen at CIS.DREXEL.EDU
Wed Oct 25 19:50:32 EDT 2006

Hi Steve,

Our paper linked below could be relevant. It is to be presented to the IEEE
Symp. on Visual Analytics Science and Technology next week. It includes
some preliminary results on how to differentiate a large number of
conflicting opinions,
in this case is about the controversal bestseller The Da Vinci Code based
on 3,000+ Amazon customer reviews.
The work is ongoing and the idea is to develop the method further in order
to apply it to scientific literature.
The goal is to be able to pinpoint exactly how different views differ based
on a series of statistical selection
and classification processes.

Chen, C., SanJuan, F. I., SanJuan, E., & Weaver, C. (2006) Visual analysis
of conflicting opinions. IEEE Symposium on Visual Analytics Science and
Technology (VAST 2006), Baltimore, MA. Oct 31-Nov 2, 2006.
http://cluster.cis.drexel.edu/~cchen/projects/nevac/vast2006-chen.pdf

Best wishes,
Chaomei

-----ASIS&T Special Interest Group on Metrics <SIGMETRICS at LISTSERV.UTK.EDU>