Benoit Godin's paper "On the origin of bibliometrics"

Stephen J Bensman notsjb at LSU.EDU
Thu May 18 15:20:26 EDT 2006

Thanks.  I just love Godin's stuff--particularly what he writes on James
McKeen Cattell.  He shows that all this scientometrics stuff originates in
eugenics.  Due to this, I always thought that perhaps a policy should be
instituted of sterilizing all scientists and scholars, who consistently
publish bad papers.  That may cut down the numbers of such scientists and
scholars in future generations and solve a many problems presently plaguing
the scientific journal system--like too many papers, the high cost of
journals, etc. etc.  The statistics--another product of eugenics--seem to
bear this out.  The trouble is that my dean may come down and sterilize me.
She is fully capable of this and can do it with a look.

SB

"Michel J. Menou" <Michel.Menou at WANADOO.FR>@LISTSERV.UTK.EDU> on 05/18/2006
12:17:14 PM

Please respond to ASIS&T Special Interest Group on Metrics
       <SIGMETRICS at LISTSERV.UTK.EDU>

Sent by:    ASIS&T Special Interest Group on Metrics
       <SIGMETRICS at LISTSERV.UTK.EDU>