Future UK RAEs to be Metrics-Based

Ian Rowlands ir at SOI.CITY.AC.UK
Tue Mar 28 13:10:51 EST 2006

This is certainly an interesting technical argument, but I think we (the metrics
/ science policy community) ought to be trying to lead this debate to a more
broadly socially useful conclusion.

We know that targets are a very strong motivator and that they will have a
profound effect on human behaviour.  The argument so far (which I agree with)
is that the RAE is a waste of money in that simple metrics could provide a
solution which pretty well fits the rankings obtained - expensively - by
committees.

But the bigger question is what are we trying to achieve by the RAE or its
successors?  If it's simply research concentration, why not just let market
forces rip?  That would be both efficient and transparent.  If the RAE is
intended as a redistributive exercise, to address market failure, then we will
need metrics (or fudges) that address that issue.  Like how to deal with
scholarship, editorial contributions, etc.

But, fundamentally, what are we trying to achieve?  Would not the RAE gain a
modicum of respect if it justified itself in terms of changing academic
behaviour towards some agreed community goals.  I think this proposal is the
worst of all worlds, it hardens the edges around the decisions that are made
about a very complex set of scholarly communication behaviours and most
definitely will not gain community respect, it does not address social value,
the role of universities and where research should go (rather than where it's
been).

No good manager needs a load of trailing edge indicators to tell him or her who
their best staff are.  But they can see the value of setting aspirational
targets that get the best from them by inspiring them to change their behaviour
for the common good.  We need new indicators that will enable policy makers to
set socially desirable targets: should keep us going for a few years!
Otherwise what is the point?

Ian Rowlands