Johan Bollen, Marko A. Rodriguez, and Herbert Van de Sompel "Journal Status" arXiv:cs.GL/0601030 v1 9 Jan 2006

Quentin L. Burrell quentinburrell at MANX.NET
Thu Mar 9 15:26:01 EST 2006

I have been following these various exchanges with much interest. Let me
pick up a subthread from one of Stephen's earlier pieces, quoted in part:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen J Bensman" <notsjb at LSU.EDU>
To: <SIGMETRICS at LISTSERV.UTK.EDU>
Sent: Monday, March 06, 2006 5:41 PM
Subject: Re: [SIGMETRICS] Johan Bollen, Marko A. Rodriguez, and Herbert Van
de Sompel "Journal Status" arXiv:cs.GL/0601030 v1 9 Jan 2006

  Small as this may be, the
> probabilities and lambda were actually much smaller, for Garfield's
> constant is based on the set of articles actually cited that year, i.e.,
> it
> it truncated on the left and does not take into account the articles that
> could have been cited but were not.  I do not have the technical or
> intellectual ability to estimate this zero class.  I do know that Sir
> Maurice Kendall backed off from the problem when he confronted it in
> Bradford's Law, and who the hell am I compared to Maurice Kendall.  I wish
> that somebody would write an article understandable to simpletons on how
> make such estimates.  From my perspective, this would be one of the most
> important articles ever written.

The estimation of the zero class is a longstanding problem that I recently
referred to in a Letter to the Editor of JASIS&T ("Sample-size dependence or
time dependence of statistical measures in informetrics?" 55(2), 183-184,
2004).
The relevant extract and some historical references are as follows:

"Yoshikane et al. (2003a, 2003b) also make reference to Good (1953), Good &
Toulmin (1956), and Efron & Thisted (1976) in the context of interpolation
and extrapolation of data. The extrapolation problem - for instance, given
the cumulated data for 1992-1997, what can we say about the distribution if
the cumulation were to be extended to cover 1998? - has a long history.
Within bibliometrics Kendall (1960), in his discussion of Bradford's work on
journal productivity, posed the problem "there is also a non-observed class
of journals which have not carried a relevant article in the period examined
but may do so at any moment in the future. One would like to be able to
estimate the size of this potentially contributory class". This problem is
equivalent to the so-called unseen species problem in ecology and dates back
at least to Fisher et al. (1943), see also Engen (1978). In the ecological
context the extrapolation may be in the sense of widening the geographical
area, in bibliometrics it is in the sense of increasing the time scale of
observation - obviously there are other variants. Kendall's problem was
addressed by Brookes (1975) who essentially, but independently, demonstrated
a special case of the so-called Good & Toulmin formula (see Burrell (1988)).
Efron & Thisted's (1976) empirical approach was further developed and
applied within bibliometrics by Burrell (1989, 1990). The current setting of
a database being cumulated over time, using the Burrell (1992a) data, was
addressed by Burrell (1992b).