Johan Bollen, Marko A. Rodriguez, and Herbert Van de Sompel "Journal Status" arXiv:cs.GL/0601030 v1 9 Jan 2006

Stephen J Bensman notsjb at LSU.EDU
Wed Mar 8 15:17:30 EST 2006

Loet,
I just finished a tutorial by Thomson Scientific on use of the online JCR.
During the course of this tutorial, I found out how ISI assigns journals to
its subject categories.  It is so delicious that I cannot resist telling
you what I learned.

They have for each subject category a little blurb describing what that
category is and what it covers.  It is part of the category information.
An ISI person takes a journal, looks at 2 or 3 issues, and then
SUBJECTIVELY--I REPEAT, SUBJECTIVELY--assigns the journal to a subject
category on the basis of those category descriptions.  It is so
traditional, librarian, and Keynesian that your name immediately popped
into my mind together with a howl of laughter.

In terms on how these things have been done for centuries, it is definitely
legitmized.

SB

Loet Leydesdorff <loet at LEYDESDORFF.NET>@listserv.utk.edu> on 03/08/2006
12:47:01 AM

Please respond to ASIS&T Special Interest Group on Metrics
       <SIGMETRICS at listserv.utk.edu>

Sent by:    ASIS&T Special Interest Group on Metrics
       <SIGMETRICS at listserv.utk.edu>