Johan Bollen, Marko A. Rodriguez, and Herbert Van de Sompel "Journal Status" arXiv:cs.GL/0601030 v1 9 Jan 2006

Stephen J Bensman notsjb at LSU.EDU
Wed Mar 8 11:43:24 EST 2006

Stephen J Bensman
03/08/2006 10:39 AM

To:    dgoodman at Princeton.EDU
cc:

Subject:    Re: [SIGMETRICS] Johan Bollen, Marko A. Rodriguez, and Herbert
       Van de Sompel "Journal Status" arXiv:cs.GL/0601030 v1 9 Jan 2006
       (Document link: Stephen J Bensman)

Good point well made, David.  Even the set of review journals is fuzzy.
However, I think that Garfield beat you to this insight some 25 years ago.
You might want to peruse his articles posted at the following URLs:

http://www.garfield.library.upenn.edu/essays/v5p695y1981-82.pdf

http://www.garfield.library.upenn.edu/essays/v10p113y1987.pdf

In these he states that the word "review" is one of the more ambiguous
terms in science and cites research classifying review journals into eight
different types.  Mark Twain once quipped that the trouble with the
ancients is that they stole our best ideas.

SB

David Goodman <dgoodman at Princeton.EDU>@LISTSERV.UTK.EDU> on 03/07/2006
07:54:21 PM

Please respond to dgoodman at Princeton.EDU

Sent by:    ASIS&T Special Interest Group on Metrics
       <SIGMETRICS at LISTSERV.UTK.EDU>