Johan Bollen, Marko A. Rodriguez, and Herbert Van de Sompel "Journal Status" arXiv:cs.GL/0601030 v1 9 Jan 2006

Boyack, Kevin W kboyack at SANDIA.GOV
Mon Mar 6 10:42:29 EST 2006

Hello everyone,

Regarding ISI subject categories, I don't know how they are picked, but
you can read about journal inclusion at
http://scientific.thomson.com/free/essays/selectionofmaterial/journalsel
ection/. I would assume that if this much effort is going into picking
journals to index, there is at least some level of thought going into
subject categorization. After all, the things ISI is looking at to
decide on journal inclusion are in many cases the same things you would
look at for categorization.

Now I won't claim that ISI's categorization is perfect, or that it is
updated as frequently as it might be, but I have yet to see anyone put
forth a better categorization scheme that is widely available. I'm sure
there are many of us that either have, or could easily, make up our own
schemes based on citation patterns or other factors, that we feel would
be more accurate.

Now I'll go out on a limb with an opinion that is counter to what I see
in many papers. On the whole I think the ISI categories are pretty good.
There are some categories that should be thrown out, some that should be
split, some that could be merged, and some journals that are clearly
mis-categorized, as mentioned in my recent Scientometrics [v64(3),
p351-374] paper with Klavans and Borner. We can have lots of discussion
about the details, but when you look at the whole thing, it's a good
start.

Perhaps I'm more comfortable than most with the ISI structure because I
don't rely on it for evaluation. We use the emergent cluster structure
from papers rather than any category or journal scheme. But that's
another story.

Can anyone recommend a better journal categorization scheme that is
widely available? I'd love to hear of (and get a copy of) such a thing.

Best regards,
Kevin