More missing citations?

Tim Brody tdb01r at ECS.SOTON.AC.UK
Mon Mar 6 10:28:33 EST 2006

Hmmm (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impact_Factor),

     A = the number of times articles published in 2001-2 were cited in
tracked journals during 2003
     B = the number of articles published in 2001-2

     2003 impact factor = A/B

"ISI excludes certain article types (such as news items, correspondence,
and errata) from the *denominator*" (my emphasis)

Without trawling for an 'official' ISI definition that is what I
understood the IF to be. One of the oft-cited criticisms of the JIF
being that journals with many letters that get cited get an unfair
advantage due to letters being included in the numerator but not the
denominator.

Is this anomaly corrected in recent JCRs (in which case wikipedia at
least needs to be updated)?
How does that effect time-series comparisons?

Thanks,
Tim.