Sidiropoulos A, Manolopoulos Y. "A citation-based system to assist prize awarding" Sigmod Record 34(4): 54-60 Dec 2005.

Wed Jun 28 17:16:40 EDT 2006

E-mail Addresses: asidirop at csd.auth.gr, manolopo at csd.auth.gr

Title: A citation-based system to assist prize awarding

Author(s): Sidiropoulos A, Manolopoulos Y

Source: SIGMOD RECORD 34 (4): 54-60 DEC 2005

Document Type: Article
Language: English
Cited References: 13      Times Cited: 0

Abstract: Citation analysis is performed-to evaluate the impact of
scientific collections (journals and conferences), publications and scholar
authors. In this paper we investigate alternative methods to provide a
generalized approach to rank scientific publications. We use the SCEAS
system [12] as a base platform to introduce new methods that can be used
for ranking scientific. publications. Moreover, we tune our approach along
the reasoning of the prizes 'VLDB- 10 Year Award' and 'SIGMOD Test of Time
Award', which have been awarded in the course of the top two database
conferences. Our approach can be used to objectively suggest the
publications and the respective authors the are more likely to. be awarded
in the near future at these conferences.

EXCERPT :
CONCLUSION

In this report we proposed and experimentally examined SCEAS Rank, a new
alternative method for scientific publications evaluation, besides the
known algorithms of Page Rank and HITS.  We also presented SCEAS Rank tuned
variations.  However, detailed algorithm descriptions and performance
tuning appears in [13]. We also evaluated the above  method by using the
DBLP digital theory as a training set and the awarded publications of ‘VLDB
10 year Award’ and ‘SIGMOD Test of Time Award’ as an evaluation set for the
publications rank method.  Additionally, we presented author ranking based
on the publication rank results and we used the ‘SIGMOD Edgar F. Codd
Innovations Award’ as an evaluation set.  In both cases the performance of
SCEAS Rank was in general better than the other methods.  This might be
helpful to short-list candidate authors for awarding during the next few
years.

Addresses: Sidiropoulos A (reprint author), Aristotle Univ Salonika, Data
Engn Lab, Dept Informat, Thessaloniki, 54124 Greece

E-mail Addresses: asidirop at csd.auth.gr, manolopo at csd.auth.gr

Publisher: ASSOC COMPUTING MACHINERY, 1515 BROADWAY, NEW YORK, NY 10036 USA