Bornmann L, Daniel HD "Criteria used by a peer review committee for selection of research fellows - A boolean probit analysis " International Journal of Selection and Assessment 13(4): 296-303, December 2005.

Wed Jun 28 16:57:12 EDT 2006

E-mail : bornmann at gess.ethz.ch

Title: Criteria used by a peer review committee for selection of research
fellows - A boolean probit analysis

Author(s): Bornmann L, Daniel HD

Source: INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF SELECTION AND ASSESSMENT 13 (4): 296-303
DEC 2005

Document Type: Article
Language: English
Cited References: 38      Times Cited: 0

Abstract:
An international foundation for the promotion of basic research in
biomedicine, the Boehringer Ingelheim Fonds (B.I.F.), reports that
fellowships are awarded to post-graduate researchers according to the
following main criteria: (1) scientific quality as demonstrated by the
applicant's achievements to date, (2) the originality of the proposed
research project, and (3) the scientific standing of the laboratory where
the research will be conducted. Using the Boolean probit statistical
technique, this study examines the multiple conjunctural causation that a
fellowship will be awarded only if all three of these criteria are assessed
positively by the B.I.F. peer review committee. In agreement with the
prescriptive principles of the foundation the results suggest that the
B.I.F. approves applications only if all of the three criteria are rated
positively.

Addresses: Bornmann L (reprint author), ETH, Swiss Fed Inst Technol,
Zanhringerstr 24, Zurich, CH-8092 Switzerland
ETH, Swiss Fed Inst Technol, Zurich, CH-8092 Switzerland
Univ Zurich, Zurich, CH-8006 Switzerland

E-mail Addresses: bornmann at gess.ethz.ch
Publisher: BLACKWELL PUBLISHING, 9600 GARSINGTON RD, OXFORD OX4 2DQ, OXON,
ENGLAND