Early citation advantage?

Stevan Harnad harnad at ECS.SOTON.AC.UK
Wed Jun 21 15:49:54 EDT 2006

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006, Stephen J Bensman wrote:

> If you can define a large enough subject set covered by the SCI or SSCI JCR
> and containing large enough subsets of both "tolled access" journals and
> "open access" journals, I would suggest some sort of comparison of means
> test on the immediacy indexes of the two subsets.

Worth doing, but risks comparing apples and oranges (as it is hard to
equate OA and NOA journals). Why be constrained by comparing OA and NOA
journals when one can compare OA and NOA articles in the same journal?
Using the ISI database, once you have a sample of OA and NOA articles
(I suggest finding them with a robot, as we did), you can compare the
average first-citation or citation-peak latency.

Stevan Harnad