Early citation advantage?

Pikas, Christina K. Christina.Pikas at JHUAPL.EDU
Wed Jun 21 15:45:00 EDT 2006

Interesting topic.  I have a few comments:
1) Would you have to control on subject?  Math journals which have
citation half lives of >10 should not be compared to say biomed
journals.
2) In fact, would you want to keep "letters" journals separate from the
more slow to publish?  So if you were looking at optics, I believe
Optics Express (open access 62-day turnaround journal from OSA) is there
in the JCR list with Physics Review A.  I'm not sure comparing the
immediacy of the two is fair.
3) How do you handle the many examples of journals that make articles
available months before the issue is released?  You might see an article
with a citation to a 2007 volume that's posted on the ejournal site.
There's the problem, too, of citing forthcoming articles and deduping
them with the published version.

I think the e-mail that I just received addresses these points, but I'm
going to go ahead recklessly and send ...

Christina K. Pikas, MLS
R.E. Gibson Library & Information Center
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory
Voice  240.228.4812 (Washington), 443.778.4812 (Baltimore)
Fax 443.778.5353