Let 1000 RAE Metric Flowers Bloom: Avoid Matthew Effect as Self-Fulfilling Prophecy

Stevan Harnad harnad at ECS.SOTON.AC.UK
Wed Jun 21 10:09:46 EDT 2006

I wouldn't worry too much about the pedigree of the quote/cliche. It
has pretty much become generic now. (I had forgotten or perhaps never
knew its provenance!).

The sentiment was obviously bogus in Mao's case. He had no intention
of letting all voices be heard. In the case of OA metrics, in
contrast, we are not even talking about freedom to voice opinions, we
are talking about making published research freely accessible online,
along with all the objective metrics that that will generate. The
rest of the terms of the analogy simply do not hold. (One must make
too much of the irrelevant details of a metaphor, nor be too
superstitious...)

Stevan Harnad