Tbahriti I, Chichester C, Lisacek F, Ruch P "Using argumentation to retrieve articles with similar citations: An inquiry into improving related articles search in the MEDLINE digital library " Intnl. J. Med Informatics 75 (6): 488-495 Jun 2006

Fri Jun 16 16:44:23 EDT 2006

E-mail:
Patrick Ruch : patrick.ruch at sim.hcuge.ch

The author has made the full text of this article available at :
 http://www.genisis.ch/~natlang/PruMIE05-IJMI.pdf

Other papers by Patrick Ruch are available at :
http://www.natlang.hcuge.ch/People/ruch/papers/selection.html

Title: Using argumentation to retrieve articles with similar citations: An
inquiry into improving related articles search in the MEDLINE digital
library

Author(s): Tbahriti I, Chichester C, Lisacek F, Ruch P

Source: INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF MEDICAL INFORMATICS 75 (6): 488-495 JUN
2006

Document Type: Article    Language: English
Cited References: 37      Times Cited: 0

Abstract:
The aim of this study is to investigate the relationships between citations
and the scientific argumentation found abstracts. We design a related
article search task and observe how the argumentation can affect the search
results. We extracted citation lists from a set of 3200 full-text papers
originating from a narrow domain. In parallel, we recovered the
corresponding MEDLINE records for analysis of the argumentative moves. Our
argumentative model is founded on four classes:. er trained on PURPOSE,
METHODS, RESULTS and CONCLUSION. A Bayesian classes: explicitly structured
MEDLINE abstracts generates these argumentative categories. The categories
are used to generate four different argumentative indexes. A fifth index
contains the complete abstract, together with the title and the list of
Medical Subject Headings (MeSH) terms. To appraise the relationship of the
moves to the citations, the citation lists were used as the criteria for
determining relatedness of articles, establishing a benchmark; it means
that two articles are considered as "related" if they share a significant
set of co-citations. Our results show that the average precision of queries
with the PURPOSE and CONCLUSION features is the highest, while the
precision of the RESULTS and METHODS features was relatively tow. A linear
weighting combination of the moves is proposed, which significantly
improves retrieval of related articles. (c) 2005 Elsevier Ireland Ltd. All
rights reserved.

Addresses: Ruch P (reprint author), Univ & Hosp Geneva, SIM, 24 Micheli
Crest, Geneva, CH-1211 Switzerland
Univ & Hosp Geneva, SIM, Geneva, CH-1211 Switzerland
Geneva Bioinformat GeneBio SA, Geneva, Switzerland
Swiss Inst Bioinformat, Geneva, Switzerland

E-mail Addresses: patrick.ruch at sim.hcuge.ch

Publisher: ELSEVIER IRELAND LTD, ELSEVIER HOUSE, BROOKVALE PLAZA, EAST PARK
SHANNON, CO, CLARE, 00000, IRELAND