FW: [CHMINF-L] professional associations and impact factors

Loet Leydesdorff loet at LEYDESDORFF.NET
Wed Jun 7 02:41:43 EDT 2006

Dear colleagues,

My measures for local citation impact provide (since 2004) values both
before and after correction for "within-journal (self-)citation". The
vertical axis of the node corresponds with the total number of citations and
the horizontal one with the total number after these corrections. The
corresponding numerical values indicate the percentages. (The measures can
be found for the ISI-set at http://www.leydesdorff.net/jcr04 and for the
Chinese set at http://www.leydesdorff.net/istic04.)

Something similar can easily be done with impact factors. One can calculate
impact factors after within-journal citations from the JCR
straightforwardly. Perhaps, someone has already done this? Within-journal
citations are not meaningless: for example, Scientometrics has a high rate
of within-journal citations. It may mean that a community is forming a
strong clique around a journal.

With best wishes,

Loet

Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam
Tel.: +31-20- 525 6598; fax: +31-20- 525 3681
loet at leydesdorff.net ; http://www.leydesdorff.net/