Sydow M. "Random surfer with back step" FUNDAMENTA INFORMATICAE 68 (4): 379-398 DEC 2005

Fri Apr 28 17:15:53 EDT 2006

Marcia Sydow : msyd at pjwstk.edu.pl

Title: Random surfer with back step

Author(s): Sydow M

Source: FUNDAMENTA INFORMATICAE 68 (4): 379-398 DEC 2005

Document Type: Article
Language: English
Cited References: 32      Times Cited: 0

Abstract: The World Wide Web with its billions of hyperlinked documents is
a huge and important resource of information. There is a necessity of
filtering this information. Link analysis of the Web graph turned out to be
a powerful tool for automatically identifying authoritative documents. One
of the best examples is the PageRank algorithm used in Google [1] to rank
search results.
In this paper we extend the model underlying the PageRank algorithm by
incorporating "back button" usage modeling in order to make the model less
simplistic. We explain the existence and uniqueness of the ranking induced
by the extended model. We also develop and implement an efficient
approximation method for computing the novel ranking and present succesful
experimental results made on 80- and 50-million page samples of the real
Web.
Author Keywords: Web information retrieval; link analysis; PageRank; back
button modeling
Addresses: Sydow M (reprint author), Polish Japanese Inst Informat Technol,
Koszykowa 86, Warsaw, PL-02008 Poland
Polish Japanese Inst Informat Technol, Warsaw, PL-02008 Poland
E-mail Addresses: msyd at pjwstk.edu.pl
Publisher: IOS PRESS, NIEUWE HEMWEG 6B, 1013 BG AMSTERDAM, NETHERLANDS