Garfinkel MS, Sarewitz D, Porter AL "A societal outcomes map for health research and policy " American Journal of Public Health 96 (3): 441-446 MAR 2006

Tue Apr 25 23:11:23 EDT 2006

Michele S. Garfinkel
E-mail Addresses: mgarfinkel at venterinstitute.org

Title: A societal outcomes map for health research and policy

Author(s): Garfinkel MS, Sarewitz D, Porter AL

Source: AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PUBLIC HEALTH 96 (3): 441-446 MAR 2006

Document Type: Article   Language: English
Cited References: 34      Times Cited: 0

Abstract: The linkages between decisions about health research and policy
and actual health outcomes may be extraordinarily difficult to specify.
We performed a pilot application of a "road mapping" and technology
assessment technique to perinatal health to illustrate how this technique
can clarify the relations between available options and improved health
outcomes. We used a combination of datamining techniques and qualitative
analyses to set up the underlying structure of a societal health outcomes
road map.  Societal health outcomes road mapping may be a useful tool for
enhancing the ability of the public health community, policymakers, and
other stakeholders, such as research administrators, to understand health
research and policy options.

EXCERPT FROM PAPER:
MINING THE RESEARCH LITERATURE
Scanning the professional literature for concepts and results is key to
building a road map.  We drew on scientometrics (tallying activity) and
text mining (extracting prevalent terms (refs.16,21,30-32) to explore
perinatal health research knowledge.  Fortunately, one international
database, MEDLINE, compiles a tremendous amount of pertinent research.  It
does so in the form of a searchable database that provides abstracts of
articles (PubMed ref33).  It also thoroughly indexes those articles
through a hierarchical thesaurus called MeSH (Medical Subject Headings
ref.34).  It is important to note that we did not track MeSH terms per
se.  Rather, we searched MEDLINE for articles containing the word
perinatal.

Addresses: Garfinkel MS (reprint author), 9704 Med Ctr Dr,4th Floor,
Rockville, MD 20850 USA
Arizona State Univ, Consortium Sci Policy & Outcomes, Tempe, AZ USA
Arizona State Univ, Sch Life Sci, Tempe, AZ USA
Arizona State Univ, Dept Geol Sci, Tempe, AZ USA
Georgia Inst Technol, Technol Policy & Assessment Ctr, Atlanta, GA 30332
USA
Search Technol Inc, Norcross, GA USA

E-mail Addresses: mgarfinkel at venterinstitute.org

Publisher: AMER PUBLIC HEALTH ASSOC INC, 800 I STREET, NW, WASHINGTON, DC
20001-3710 USA